In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

old marlin 1894 load help....

My Dad recently purchased a 1894 marlin at an auction that was originally a 44-40 or a 38-40, how ever it has been rechambered to 44 mag. This gun has sold in two other auctions before my dad purchased it.

Here is a link to one of the auctions the gun sold at before he purchased it.

http://bid.dakotaplainsauctions.com/Marlin-1894-44-mag-SN-445943_i11319139

Now we are trying to decide on a load for it. we slugged the bore and it does measure .429. We are leary about running full power 44 mag loads through this gun as we cannot find a manufacture date and are concerned on weather or not the barrel is nickle steel or was still black powder. IF the date of manufature is 1910-1915 as we are thinking had marlin swithced to nickle steel barrels by then..

Any loads or thoughts to help us on this journey will be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance[:)]

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not put anything close to a full charge .44 Magnum in a 1910 gun. Lyman has .44 Magnum data at .44-40 ballistics that I think would be appropriate.
  • Options
    IdahoRedneckIdahoRedneck Member Posts: 2,699
    edited November -1
    That's what we were thinking too. Cant just pick up a box of 44 mag and go...... so if we load to 44-40 ballistics we should be fine?
    What about shooting 44 specials. What would you consider a max velocity for this gun, would Oregon trail bullets be okay or too hard(as I haven't ventured into casting my own yet).....Sorry[:I]
    Probably way over thinking this huh[:)] Again thanks in advance.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    From the serial number, my rough guess as to year made, would be 1915-16.
    Try www.marlinowners.com or www.marlinfirearms.com and see if they can pin it down more. #355300 ended at 1906. From there to about 1948 they don't have dates.

I'd load to mild 44spl. loads for it.