In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Washing Reclaimed Lead Shot

4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
Hello and Thanks,Anyone have any helpful hints on washing reclaimed lead shot?
Thanks Steve.

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're intent on "washing" reclaimed shot, about the best you can hope for is to wash away the dust. The dirt and grit that is the same size as the shot or smaller will remain. (unless you employ some very sophisticated flushing techniques) If the idea is to load shotshells with it...buy some QUALITY wads that have enough room to COMPLETLY encase the shotcharge.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also believe that you need to add graphite or something similiar after washing for storage to combat corrosion.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Many years ago when I was young and poor (instead of now being old and poor)I helped run a trap range and we (us poor workers)would dig the shot out of the ground and use a screen and hose approach, then pick any of the large clumps out, spread the shot to dry. It only took a large piece of screen and a hose. Amazing what water pressure can clean, but be careful so you don't "blast" the shot in your face.

Not sure it's worth the time, but when you have no real money it is a method that allows you to shoot more, and never had a major problem reloading 12-20 ga. with it. I would not recommend 28 & 410 since the shot size varies. Also, make sure you clean your machine after using this stuff.

Good luck
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since lead is so heavy a riffle board, like those used by gold miners, should be easy to fabricate and easy to use. Check out gold miners supplies on the internet and see if there is something that looks easy to make and effective.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking since most shot would be deformed after firing anyway. After shifting, how about melting it down to separate the lead from the debris and then making new shot.

A bit more work, but a better product.
  • Options
    4Huntin4Huntin Member Posts: 119 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replys.
    Been using soap and water,
    The shot is deformed, some but not all.
    Been using a screen and tumbler, the dirt
    is vacumned off the top, and shot rewashed.
    Shot some sunday and worked fine.
    Will have too see what storage does to it,

have 200 lbs. to work with.
    Thanks again, Steve.
  • Options
    grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check on youtube, there's some good info on there.
  • Options
    XP100XP100 Member Posts: 436 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the reclaimed shot is Not deformed. The shot that hits the bird and is deformed does not make it to the drop zone where most reclaimed shot comes from.