In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

22-250 Reloading w/ r-15

Does anybody use reloader 15 for 22-250 with a 55 gr bullet. I made a mistake loading r-15 in a load with a 55 gr nosler. was supposed to be imr 4320 or something like that. Have tried my bullet puller and can get the bullets out, have got a couple others out with using other methods but I'm ruining the bullets getting them out. Could use any advice getting them pulled or if anyone has a load that is close to what I did with the r-15 38.5 gr, 55 gr nosler ballistic tip.

Thanks Guys

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have not used RL15 in the .22/.250. I have used it in one of my .220 Swifts. 39 grs. and a 55 gr. Rem PLHP bullet clocked 3574 fps while 39 grs. of IMR4064 with the same bullet in the same rifle went 3712 fps. From that I'd guess you MIGHT be OK. (Just remember you're getting advice from the internet!!)
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The forster style collet bullet is very fast and does not damage bullets. It needs about .1 inch of bore diameter to grab onto. Doesn't work on the ogive. The hammer style impact bullet pullers works on anything but rimfire's. A puller and a stuck case remover are handy tools to have.

edit a trip to alliant site shows your is "HOT" for 55 gr's. I'd pull them or at least make sure they were really cold when I shot them.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=12&cartridge=47
  • Options
    FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never tried pulling .22 centerfire bullets, so I'm no help there. My inertia puller, with a long enough series of energetic taps, will eventually extract somewhat heavier bullets out of 6mm Rem cases. So one of those may be worth a try, though the inertia will be less and the friction greater on the smaller bullet.

They need to be pulled, though, because 38.5 grains looks to be seriously over max. Lyman lists a maximum load of 35.5 gr. of RL-15. Speer Reloading Manual has no recommendation for that powder with their 55 grain bullet, but their max for the 52 grainer is 37.5 grains of RL-15.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never failed to remove 55 gr bullets using an "impact puller" but sometimes it takes some determined whacking if they're crimped. If you used the wrong powder by a mistake of identification, I'd say you need to reevaluate your reloading process to make sure this doesn't happen or you'll have a much bigger problem than some ruined bullets.
    This is as gentle as I can be about this subject. Only one positively identified source of powder on the bench during any loading session.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When using a kinetic bullet puller I insert a sponge type ear plug or two into the end of the chamber to keep the bullet points from distorting when the come loose.
    I also buy RCBS or Hornady types so as I will have a lifetime warrenty on all, even the collets which will eventually wear out and the other brands collets replacements cost about as much as a new puller unit![;)]

You also need to keep a Heads Up and review what happened about not making future reloading serious safety errors.
  • Options
    mstrblastermstrblaster Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use RL 15 in my 22-250. It makes my Savage a super tack driver!!!
    However, I have my load pinned down to 33.5gr. with the 55gr V-Max (Hornady)
    To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go out into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness, how cheap, how cowardly, how pathetic. Ted Nugent.
  • Options
    zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whoa Tkin, The best advice on this thread came from Mobuck. He, like a lot of us can see an obvious problem that needs addressing before a small error turns into a major one for you or someone nearby. Your load and technique need review.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tkindvall
    @ Mobuck I'm glad you are perfect and never have made a mistake in your whole life, I asked a question about pulling the bullets and the load not about the process if I had needed help in figuring out I made a mistake I would have asked that question.

To everyone else thank you for the info problem taken care of.

NOBODY is perfect, folks are trying to help, not insult you. Next time you have a problem it would behoove you to remember that. I broke a rule once and now carry a hunk of 9MM casing brass in my guts until I die. When some one here offers sage advice, accept it and learn, learning is why we are here.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tkindvall,

I reload large amounts of ammunition for testing and experimental data so I have had the opportunity to pull quite a few bullets from under-performing or superfluous cartridge loads.

I can't help but add my choice of the kinetic bullet puller to your list of tools for this attempt. I do however, recommend using ear plugs or muffs when working 'energetically' with this tool as the noise gets to be overpowering (irritating) sometimes. I also like the idea of using something in the puller as a cushion.

The Hornady product works also but will require a new bushing for each specific bullet diameter (caliber).

Good Luck with your chore.

Best.

Ambrose,

"I have not used RL15 in the .22/.250. I have used it in one of my .220 Swifts. 39 grs. and a 55 gr. Rem PLHP bullet clocked 3574 fps while 39 grs. of IMR4064 with the same bullet in the same rifle went 3712 fps. From that I'd guess you MIGHT be OK. (Just remember you're getting advice from the internet!!)"

First of all, there is nothing wrong with getting OR giving advice on the internet from respected and trusted sources. But as with all information which will have an impact on your personal well being, I often suggest doing some simple checking of the data.

The Swift has often been compared to the .22-250 as far as performance is concerned but not with reloading data.

I checked your data against mine (published sources) and that of the .22-250 cartridge and found that the Swift has a larger case capacity and will function at a normal pressure level with the load used by the original poster. It will be severely OVERPRESSURE in the .22-250 with the bullet suggested.

Best.