In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

223 reloading woes (bullet problems)

I'm using an RCBS single stage reloader, Lee 223 bullet seating die with an adjusting screw and Hornady Match 68g BTHP bullets.

Any ideas as to why every one of my bullets comes out of the die with this weird circumferential crimp/ledge/thing near the top of the bullet?

[img]http://[/img]

...I don't think it loaded the picture...

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pictures will help.

I use photobucket to put mine on here.
  • BillOrrBillOrr Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok I can't get the picture to load so I'll do my best to describe this.

There is what looks like a crimp on the bullet itself, about 1/8 of an inch below the bullet tip... consistantly.

I've tried adjusting the seating screw and that doesn't work. Do BTHP bullets do that when you load them?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bill

PS - Also: how the crap do you load a picture on here?
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bullet seating die probably doesn't match up with the ogive of the bullet. The pressure from seating leaves the mark. Forester recommends lapping the seating stem to a certain bullet with their dies.

You can also check out the stem and make sure that no burrs exist and that it is clean.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BillOrr

PS - Also: how the crap do you load a picture on here?

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=259294
  • BillOrrBillOrr Member Posts: 99 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    The bullet seating die probably doesn't match up with the ogive of the bullet. The pressure from seating leaves the mark. Forester recommends lapping the seating stem to a certain bullet with their dies.

You can also check out the stem and make sure that no burrs exist and that it is clean.

wow, that was really fast.

I'm still kind of new to reloading so bear with me. I don't know what the ogive is, and is lapping the seating stem something I can do... cause I don't know what that means either. I think I know what the stem is but I'm not %100 sure about that either.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you're not crimping the bullet too soon--that will lock the bullet in the case neck as you raise the ram and then the seating stem will deform the bullet.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The seating plug is having to put too much pressure on the bullet as it goes into the case mouth. There are several reasons this can happen; the case mouth is not being expanded enough for the bullet being used, the crimp die is starting to constrict the mouth as the bullet is being seated, the bullet and plug are not congruent so the pressure is being put on a single point of the ogive instead of a more even distribution, the powder charge is having to be heavily compressed requiring more pressure be put on the bullet by the plug. I crimp as a separate step in my rifle loading FWIW. You may want to check to see if one or more if these conditions exist in the settings you are using.
  • zimmdenzimmden Member Posts: 237 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Too much pressure is required to seat the bullet. It can be caused by your sizing die constricting the neck too much. Can you measure the neck ID after sizing? If it is less than .220, seating a bullet will be difficult. Did you chamfer the inside of case neck? Is the brass neck thickness too thick for the sizer? Is the brass "old" and work hardened? Are you seating into powder (compressed loads)? These issues can make seating difficult causing this mark on the ogive( curved part of bullet).
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    Make sure you're not crimping the bullet too soon--that will lock the bullet in the case neck as you raise the ram and then the seating stem will deform the bullet.

Gets my vote- But I don't crimp anymore[:D] and if I do, it is a very slight kiss.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back the seating die out about three turns then lower the seating stem, I would bet you have also shoved the shoulder back, leaving a visible bulge where the case starts to transition into the shoulder. Hold a straight edge on the case up to a light and see if there is a gap near the shoulder. If there is you shoved the shoulder back.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some dies that do that. The seater plug has a specific profile and the bullets you are using may be much different than that of the plug.
  • BIG ALBIG AL Member Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did any body think about the copper jacket being to soft?
    Run into same thing with Horaday .223 bullets.