In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Walnut bird litter for brass cleaning?

D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
I did a search but nothing came up. Anyone ever try it as a cheaper alternative to regular walnut media? It seems to be the same thing size wise & you can get it for about $1 per LB, instead of $3-$4 per LB. Save money to go towards other things[:)]. And yes I'm a cheap'ol sob[:p].

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not familiar with this product but I tried the corn cob pet litter once. The bigger chunks lodge inside cases causing all sorts of grief. I don't even like regular ground cob media since it seems to lodge in primer pockets/flash holes more than ground walnut hulls do. Considering the amount used and how long it lasts, I don't fret the cost of walnut hull media. I even washed some last year and it cleaned up well and works great when rejuvinated with Turbo.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    If the size is the same it should work. We tried the corn cob litter and found it clogged 223 brass bad [xx(]
    We get the finest walnut we can find and get very fine auto polish to put in it.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've used it for years, buy it at the CO OP or feed store.
    W.D.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the same experience as everyone else with the pet corn cob media.The chunks are too big and will plug up bottle neck cases.I used it on 44 mag cases and had to gouge it out with a small screw driver.
  • Options
    starmaster1953starmaster1953 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a bag of Zilla walnut litter at a local home store. It seemed pretty dusty at first but after a few batches with dryer sheets it's OK now. It cleans faster than corn cob, I let my home-made tumber run an hour for normal brass vs several hours with corn cob.
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    here's what I do. I take the walnut litter from the pet store and use to clean my empty brass.

Then, after the rounds are loaded, I tumble them in the corn cob litter from the pet store to do a little polishing. 15-20 min will be fine and isn't long enough to hurt the ammo.

The larger chunks of the corn cob won't cause problems when tumbling brass AFTER it's loaded.

And yes, the walnut stuff from the pet store works great too. But do NOT use case polish added to it. It will not absorb into the walnut and will clump the media badly. The case polish can be added to the corn cob stuff though, and it works great.

I've been using this method for a few years now and it's saved money, given great results, and never caused a single problem.