In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Plated bullets in rifle loads

jce12gajce12ga Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
I am considering using some plated 150grn. bullets in rifle loads.
I have used plated and straight lead for years in 45 ACP loads, but
the pistol loads are much slower than the rifle loads.

I will be reloading for a 7.62x54R Russian and .303 British.

Should I expect to see an above average amount of lead/copper fouling in bores or about the same as jacketed loads?
Velocities will be in the low to mid 2000FPS range.

I have been using Froglube as a cleaner for the last few months and I am very pleased with the results. Froglube is being used in primarily my pistol, (45 ACP, 380 ACP) and shotgun (12 ga. 1 oz. @ 1300 fps). I have easily removed fouling, (whether lead from bullets or plastic from wads), much easier than using more conventional bore solvents.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will find the plated bullets are way too soft for rifle use they very well may fill your bore with lead in just a few shots. Plated bullets are normally just soft swaged lead with a copper wash over them. They are not noted for accuracy.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Berry's does not recommend velocities over 1200 FPS for their plated bullets.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither of the two major suppliers (Berry's and Rainier) use that obsolete copper wash method for any of their bullets. It is a true plating, as thick as a jacket for some rifle and handgun products.

Berry's allows up to 1700 fps with this bullet: http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14671-c34-g8-b0-p0-30_30_Cal_.308_150gr_RS.aspx
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:

I have been using Froglube as a cleaner for the last few months and I am very pleased with the results. Froglube is being used in primarily my pistol, (45 ACP, 380 ACP) and shotgun (12 ga. 1 oz. @ 1300 fps). I have easily removed fouling, (whether lead from bullets or plastic from wads), much easier than using more conventional bore solvents.

I've never heard of this product, so I looked it up. $25 for an 8 oz bottle? I don't care how well it works. No thanks.