In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Case necks getting scratched

ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
I am using a set of Lee Pacesetter 223 dies and after resizing a couple hundred pieces all of a sudden I got real bad lengthwise scratches all around the case neck. I was lubing the case body and inside of case neck with Lee Lube. Any thoughts?

IMG_0006-2.jpg

IMG_0007-1.jpg

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take the die apart an really clean it with good bore solvent.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look for build up of metallic residue on the inside walls of the die. Sometimes I have to wrap a strip of crocus cloth around a round plastic rod and polish this stuff out. Be sure your final strokes are parallel to the axis of the die's bore. Don't get carried away or resort to using power tools for this, you don't want to change the dimension of the die.
  • cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good advise above. Now you just need to change case lube to prevent another occurance. Get rid of all the commercial crap and just get some #80-90 gear oil. It is a high pressure lube and wipes off easily when you are done.
  • ToolfogieToolfogie Member Posts: 1,254 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, emery paper soaked in bore cleaner did the trick.
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly
    Good advise above. Now you just need to change case lube to prevent another occurance. Get rid of all the commercial crap and just get some #80-90 gear oil. It is a high pressure lube and wipes off easily when you are done.

Your sniffer must be broke.[B)]

I can't stand the stinkn @ss smell of gear lube. No way I would use that inside the house.[:(]
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cbyerly

That's terrible advice , that crap stinks ! Just keep your dies clean and you really have no problem . You could try some Imperial sizing wax , if you're looking for easy cleanup ! You can't lube the outside of the necks , no matter what you use .
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why the dickens can't you lube the outside of the necks? The die instructions TELL YOU to lube the necks as well as the body (but NOT the shoulders). In fact, not lubing the necks is what caused this problem.

Forget all the homemade, half-* lube ideas and get a tin of Imperial.

You pass your fingertips across the wax VERY lightly. Now simply handle the cases from bin or block to the press, sliding your fingers up the case as you let go. After 10 or 15 cases, swipe your fingertips again. You want only a faint sheen where your fingers touched the case, never any visible wax amounts. That's really all you need.

Here's a two-ounce tin I bought ten years ago. It's the only lube used for all that time, for thousands and thousands of cases sized. The dent in the wax is less than a 1/4" deep. That's how little you use.

Imperial005.jpg
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Why the dickens can't you lube the outside of the necks? The die instructions TELL YOU to lube the necks as well as the body (but NOT the shoulders). In fact, not lubing the necks is what caused this problem.

Forget all the homemade, half-* lube ideas and get a tin of Imperial.

You pass your fingertips across the wax VERY lightly. Now simply handle the cases from bin or block to the press, sliding your fingers up the case as you let go. After 10 or 15 cases, swipe your fingertips again. You want only a faint sheen where your fingers touched the case, never any visible wax amounts. That's really all you need.

Here's a two-ounce tin I bought ten years ago. It's the only lube used for all that time, for thousands and thousands of cases sized. The dent in the wax is less than a 1/4" deep. That's how little you use.

Imperial005.jpg

Good advice. You won't believe how good these IMPERIAL lubes works if you have never tried it and also get yourself some IMPERIAL Aplication Media with dry neck lube and dip the end of the brass neck into this and then lightly wipe the neck, (not vice/versa or you will quickly see why) I heard of this stuff on GB forums sometime back and can't believe it's not mentioned more often or advertised. It's also dirt cheap, user friendly and lasts forever!
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The dry neck lube is a inside neck lube and the wax is a outside lube. and the inside lube is not greasy and works better than mica, graphite, etc.