In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

270 questions

hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
Thinking about starting to reload for my remington 700 chambered in 270. While im a somewhat experienced in pistol reloading, this will be my first go round with rifle reloading. Besides the dies, what is needed to produce good ammo without breaking the bank. Tools for case prep etc? Thanks for the time guys

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as I'm concerned get a good quality press, scale and dies as well as smaller stuff such as case prep tools and OAL measurement tools. You can't go wrong with quality but don't have to break the bank doing it. I am an RCBS guy but Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Redding and most other name brand products are good quality. I prefer RCBS because of their customer service. There is really no need to buy new when you can get some good deals on used stuff if you keep an eye out.It seems that most people think that they need the best of everything to get the best loads. Sure high $$ stuff is nice but it seems that most shooters can get by with the basics and get good results. It seems that spending more $$ you really don't get much more results until you get into neck thickness gauges and alot of that match stuff. Start with the basics and go from there.
    FWIW if your looking for a scale here's a good buy ...IMO..PLUG...[:D] and no shipping to forum members.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275799395

Todd
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A case trimmer if you load them very many times. You could have at least two new variables, bullet seating debth and to neck size only. I have better luck with nearly full cases with the bullets seated just off the lands.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you try and seat them just off of the lands make sure they still fit in the magazine. It seems that some rifles have such a deep throat the bullet will be to long for the mag if trying to acomplish .010" off of the lands.

Todd
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't have one, get a bullet puller. I found I was playing with dimensions (and wrinkling a few shoulders) and bullet seating depth more than with a handgun.
  • Options
    skyfishskyfish Member Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have been pistol reloading, what you will NEED.

270 dies, shell holder and case lube. Imperial sizing wax or Hornady spray, do not mess with the pad type.

That is assuming you have a press that can handle the length of a 270, have a caliper, and you pistol powder measure can measure the larger volume.

You most likely will not need a trimmer for a few reloading, a way to measure the shoulder set back and distance to the lands, ie bullet jump, would be helpful. But duplicating factory ammo with a few things above is doable.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67
    As far as I'm concerned get a good quality press, scale and dies as well as smaller stuff such as case prep tools and OAL measurement tools. You can't go wrong with quality but don't have to break the bank doing it. I am an RCBS guy but Lee, Lyman, Hornady, Redding and most other name brand products are good quality. I prefer RCBS because of their customer service. There is really no need to buy new when you can get some good deals on used stuff if you keep an eye out.It seems that most people think that they need the best of everything to get the best loads. Sure high $$ stuff is nice but it seems that most shooters can get by with the basics and get good results. It seems that spending more $$ you really don't get much more results until you get into neck thickness gauges and alot of that match stuff. Start with the basics and go from there.
    FWIW if your looking for a scale here's a good buy ...IMO..PLUG...[:D] and no shipping to forum members.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=275799395

Todd

I usually go with RCBS stuff (used when possible, but not always) because of real good customer service/support and most RCBS stuff, even the kinetic bullet pullers have a lifetime warrenty on their NAME and sometimes lifetime warrenty on used items. (similiar to Leupold warrenties) (I've also had good luck with Hornady customer support reloading eq)
    I DO NOT ever-ever go back and honor a company that has poor customer support, once they have left a bad taste in my mouth. If I buy China made or cheap made stuff I don't expect any customer support, because I purchase the cheap stuff knowing it as disposable and consumable and if it fails or breaks, no surprise or depression.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you will also want to get some H4831sc
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    you will also want to get some H4831sc

Right on!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    +1 on the H4831SC. I've had a 270 for 45+ years, my dad shot more elk with a 270 than I can remember. He read everything Jack O'Connor wrote.
    I have used O'Connor's recipe forever, I've only found one rifle in all these years that shot another load better than this one.
    Nosler 130 gr. AccuBond
    59gr H4831SC
    Winchester LRP primer
    As with all loads, start at 57gr and work your way up, watching for presure signs.
    Read some of O'Connor's books, they contain a wealth of information on the 270. They are great reading, he killed every game animal on the north american continent including a white bear with a 270.
    W.D.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H4831 is an excellent powder for the .270. However, I have switched to Reloader 22 for 130 gr. bullets using the same charge weight as H4831. I have 14 rifles in .270 and most of them like RL22 just a little bit better than H4831 for 130's. Also, I would recommend Sierra 130 gr. flat base bullets. Hornadys work good, too but I usually start with Sierras and then try Hornadys to see which shoot better in that rifle. Good luck and have fun.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only draw back to a .270 is there is no match grade bulllets
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fl23in,

That's not true. Here is Berger's contribution and there are other but I don't have the time to run them down for you. Check the various top name manufacturers and then hit the websites of the custom folks for a complete selection.

From my notes and another source:

December 21st, 2007
    New .270 Bullet Line-Up from Berger

"Our friends at Berger Bullets keep coming up with new, high-quality projectiles for precision shooters. Berger has just announced a new line-up of .270-caliber VLD bullets designed for long-range hunters as well as target shooters."

These bullets are available in 130gr VLD, 140gr VLD, and 150gr VLD. Berger. According to Berger: "The VLD design allows the bullet to penetrate 2#8243; to 3#8243; through tissue and bone before it starts to expand. Once it begins expansion, the bullet will distribute 60% to 90% of its weight as shrapnel into the surrounding tissue. The delayed expansion causes a massive wound . which puts the animal down fast."

"The Berger 270 caliber VLD bullets bring match-grade precision and exceptional terminal performance to a very popular hunting caliber," says Eric Stecker, Berger's Master Bulletsmith. "I look forward to the day when we hear about a shooter winning a competition with the same rifle and bullet he used to get his buck."

Best.
  • Options
    hrbiehrbie Member Posts: 521 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info guys. Been busy so took me a bit to check here. Ill keep everyone posted when i get some loads worked up and test them. Gathering supplies now. Thanks again!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    H4831 is an excellent powder for the .270. However, I have switched to Reloader 22 for 130 gr. bullets using the same charge weight as H4831. I have 14 rifles in .270 and most of them like RL22 just a little bit better than H4831 for 130's. Also, I would recommend Sierra 130 gr. flat base bullets. Hornadys work good, too but I usually start with Sierras and then try Hornadys to see which shoot better in that rifle. Good luck and have fun.

Very good point about bullet selection when initial accuracy testing a rifle. I do the same, and choose Flat base sierra's (spitzer types) as first choice, Hornady's (flat base) as 2nd choice if Sierra not available, but Hornady's sometimes do better than the spizer. (I'm indicating for testing at 100 yards or so)

I do not start initial testing by shooting very EXPENSIVE high grade hunting bullets at paper out of a gun that might not hit the side of a barn from inside the barn! I have also found that usually the higher priced hunting bullets usually will not average as good groups as a target, siloutte, or Sierra Spt flat base bullet. The hunting grade bullets are not designed to be as good grouping on paper, so keep as heads up on this one and don't waste your $$'s on bullets when initially testing.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fl23in
    only draw back to a .270 is there is no match grade bulllets

Sierra makes a 135 HPBT match bullet.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=270200232