In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 Bullseye Shooting?

I am looking to begin doing some bullseye shooting through a local club. Even though the shooting could be classified as "competitive", it is more like a bunch of guys getting together and having some fun. Most are just shooting against their one best scores. However, they do occasionally shoot against other clubs.

My question is what pistol would be the best to get started with? My intention is to shoot strictly w/ iron sights. The only .22 caliber pistol I own is a Walther P22, so I will need to make a purchase before I begin.

The options I am looking at are Colt Woodsman Target (not sure which series), Walther PS22 M3, Browning Buck Mark Target (7 1/2" barrel), or Ruger Mk II/Ruger Mk III.

Thanks for your feedback.

Comments

• Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Ruger Target model with 5 1/2" barrel works well for slow, timed & rapid fire courses. Comes with an extra magazine.If you try international competition , there was a restriction on barrel length years ago. So the 5 1/2" works there, if that rule still applies. Good website to get tips on Bullseye from top shooters > http://www.bullseyepistol.com/
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Depending on your finances, looking for a High Standard Trophy,Victor or S&W 41, are very good choices.
    The Rugers and Brownings are good also.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I put a Volquartson match trigger into a used SS Ruger MK II 5-1/2" bull barrel. My scores on NRA indoor 50 foot targets jumped 11 points with CCI standard velocity ammo and the Ruger pistol.

You should be able to find one used for under 400 bucks. I have a Buckmark, it is dead accurate but is ergonomically incorrect for my rather large hand and Bullseye shooting.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    There are many good choices for a first Bulls-EYE Pistol . The Ruger or Buckmark will both serve you well The Buckmark will be easier to take down to clean and some models have very good trigger pull and Over travel adjustment screw. The ruger factory trigger leaves a lot to be desired and grip angle will be different then a 1911 This may cause you trouble if you want to advance and shoot 2700 Pistol matches in the future. see if one or more of the older shooters have a pistol you can try. ONE SIZE DOES NOT FIT ALL> everyone has different size/types of hands see if you can find a mentor . easier to learn the correct important points then re-learn bad habits. Forgemonkey must have me confused with someone else .I am nothing like the person he described. [:0]
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    A. find something that fits your hand
    B. buy the best trigger you can afford

I shoot a benelli mp95, my personal 'best' is 297 out of 300 possible
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Most are just shooting against their one best scores. You may want to try this Handicap method at your local club. BullseyePistol01.jpghttp://photobucket.com/BullseyeHandicapSystem
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All the theory goes right out the window when the range officer says to commence firing at the slow fire target. Sometimes getting that first shot off seems impossible. If you can take your current 22 and sand bag it at 25 yards covering 10 shots with a quarter, you are ready to go compete.

A good trigger is very helpful but the best trigger on earth having lousy trigger control applied to it will assure a crappy result. Conversely a mediocre trigger used properly will still shoot a 10.

I want Perry Shooter and Mike Whiskey on my team......[:D]
  • Options
    17tobyracing17tobyracing Member Posts: 3,429 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the great feedback. Its all greatly appreciated. I think I'm going to look for a Ruger 22/45...
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one last comment, try the S&W 41 before you buy something else. It is more expensive, but it has a great trigger and good sights for an off-the-shelf pistol, much better than the Ruger (I do have both the Ruger being a Mk III).
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Or, you could try the only S&W model I own; the 2206.
    Great trigger if you do some final fitting, sights are good, bore is lower, so you get more feedback with less wrist strain, and it holds 12.