In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

30 cal. 100 gr. half jacket in 32 ACP

yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
Found mention of using this bullet in Cartridges of the World but no load data given. Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I think you will find that to fit in most magazines the bullet will hve to be seated very deep in the case "small air space left" small amounts of change in powder charge weight will cause large changes in pressure. IMHO better choices of bullets are available.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply - actually my intended purpose is in bolt action 30-30 using chamber adapter (just experimenting) so length is not an issue. Just thought I'd inquire as to starting load, seem to have only Win. 231 on hand right now.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have you looked at Hornady's 90 grain HP/XTP? It is intended for the Tokarev, .30 Mauser or .30 Luger, but it is a bit shorter then the 100 grain half-jacket?
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we talking the 100gr Speer Plinker. My Speer #10 has 30-30 data for that bullet. I don't think you will get very good results because of the long jump to hit the rifling. I also have a C&H swage set up to make them. I can tell you that full tilt loads out of a 30-06 are a waste of powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bullets I have are Hornady .308 100 gr. SJ (short jacket). As I mentioned, am experimenting & hoped for hint on starter load. Not looking for max. power.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I would just use the 71 grain FMJ and not look back.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An older edition of COTW gave a charge weight of 2.8grs. of Unique with the 100gr. plinker from Speer IIRC.
    Don't know about any other firearm but it worked in my Walther PP just fine.
    Wouldn't do it again, was using what I had at the time.
    The 85-86gr. bullets for the Tokarev work fine.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest using a load of TrailBoss in the standard 30-30 case. Accuracy will most likely be much better.