In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5x55 120gr A-max loads

Anybody had any luck with Ramshot hunter powder and 120gr A-max bullets. Sitting on 7lbs of ramshot and 400+ 6.5 A-max.
Trying to use up what is available.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muzzydunn,

This will depend upon what rifle you are choosing to use these loads in. Most of the powder manufacturers or distributors stop at the loads which will function safely in the older Swedish Mausers, about 55,000 PSI according to the Ramshot website. However, you can work up loads at higher pressure when used in modern firearms. Always be sure to follow the guidelines for working up new loads; starting low, working up slowly and watching for signs of pressure. If you lack experience in these matters get help or stick with the book loads.

Here is the suggested data from Ramshot using the 120 gr. Nosler BT as a guide:

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/ramshot_handgun_rifle.pdf

These are safe to try with the AMAX bullets, I've done it. There was no data for the little 120 gr. AMAXs when they were released to the market so we had to do some interpolation. The original intent of the 120's was to help get velocities (and accuracy) up for the then newer 6.5 x 47 Lapua cartridge. I prefer the heavier bullets with the 6.5x55 Swede when I use it in a competition Match rifle but that's a personal opinion based on use.

Best.
  • Options
    muzzydunnmuzzydunn Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Using it in Ruger 77 MKII, Have used 120gr nos data and 42grns so far and get 2450+\-, 1 inch and change at 100, will go up a little more and see . thanks for the info, wish it was 130 berger vld,s but got these for $15 box and will use them til gone
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muzzydunn,

At 15 bucks a box, I'd use 'em too!

You'll be safe up to their 44.5 grains at least. Use minor increments and enjoy the shooting.

Best.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1