In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

264 winchester magnum

Looking for info on berger bullets. I recently purchased a box of HMS Trophy Gold Extended Range 140 gr VLD hpbt and use the chrony. I was disappointed that velocity was 2,760 fps, 3 shot group 1/2. I would love to handload this round to get at least 3,100 to 3,200 fps. Does anybody have any experience using this round? Also my rifle has a 26" barrel.

Comments

• Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not sure of your question?

Are you asking if anyone uses this factory round or if anyone reloads for a 264 Win mag?
    I reload for a Winchester 264 mag with a factory 26 inch stainless steel Blued barrel with very good accuracy, shoots around 3100-3300fps with 120g and 140gr bullets. It likes H4831 powder and I've made my brass downsized from 7mm Rem mag brass at times. Have to use a big game type hunting bullets for deer sized and larger game, like Nosler Partitions or the Nosler solids. (inside 100 yards the hollow point type bullets, ballistic tips, etc have tendency to blow-up and turn in schrapnel if a bone or shoulder hit on big game.
    I can use the hollow points and non solids for varmits. I only shoot 3 shot groups and let the barrel completely cool before next string.
    I use the lesser priced 120gr Sierra SPT for varmits because the gun likes it for good accuracy at long range. I've taken several coyyotes at over 500 yards with the 264 and their buddies thought lightning had struck!

The 6.5mm 0r 264 is one of my favorite long range calibers and recoil from mine is very tolerant as compared to the 7mm mags.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    re-check your chrony,..something sounds wrong with that velocity,..even in factory ammo.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    re-check your chrony,..something sounds wrong with that velocity,..even in factory ammo.

I agree, that the chrony must be wrong for a 264 factory load.
    Using dirt for powder in a 264 mag would produce a greater velocity than you are reading!
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I agree, I've been shooting and loading for the 264 for 35+ years and that figure should be 3,100 at least.
    W.D.
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    I agree check the chrony otherwise you were either shooting into a 100mph wind gust. How many rounds did you test on the chrony? I know myself that I have ran into inconsistent remington rounds so perhaps you got a batch of what I call peanut loads. It is possible although unlikely, my guess is there is something drastically wrong with your chrony.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsalas68,

You definitely want to check how the chrony is set up too. If you did this in late afternoon you'll tend to get way off readings. Typically mine were low too. I'd be getting what I expected in high sun conditions, then low when the sun dipped. It's because the chrony measures shadow time vs. shadow time front to back screen. It doesn't always drop. Just depends on how the sun is angled to your chrony.

Also, check the batteries. Weak batteries means weak time delayed signals.

One thing you will also want to do to verify your chrony, if you have the room to measure drops from 100-300 or farther if you can. The farther the better. Remember to allow that your scope will be moving 3/4" @ 300 instead of 1/4" @ 100. It should actually be in MOA, but for general purposes, 'inches per hundred yds.' will work.
  • Options
    jsalas68jsalas68 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I double checked Chrony placed new batteries with same results. Factory Winchester ran 3,200 fps
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jsalas68
    I double checked Chrony placed new batteries with same results. Factory Winchester ran 3,200 fps

Thanks for posting back with some more info! It looks as though you might want to be on the phone with them and ask why??? In polite terms of course. That certainly isn't what you bargained for. If they don't fix it, I'd give Berger a call too. No sense in them sending bullets to these guys and have 'em loaded like that.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yes, my 270 shoots 140s faster than that, some thing is not right.
    W.D.
  • Options
    jsalas68jsalas68 Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I finally got a couple of load worked up with 140 gr Berger VLD hunting
    1. IMR 7828
    65.5 grains
    CCI 250
    Winchester Brass
    OAL 3.30
    Velocity 3,020 fps
    groups .426