In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Loading .32 S&W

I have a couple little .32 S&W revolvers, one a Forehand Arms with the only pat. date of 1881 and the other an Iver Johnson safety hammerless which letter prefix and # indicate 1923. I followed advice in Lyman loading man. using starting loads of 1.1 gr. Bullseye behing 85 gr. lead. I have a couple books stating that load duplicates factory ball. This load is pitiful, it won't penetrate a hardwood plank at 15 feet, just makes a notable dent and bounces back! Is the .32 S&W really that weak? Seems to me all that would do is make the neighbors cat angry!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep they are that weak. I will tell you that a 44 Mag full of 4Fg is a respectful load. A 458 full of 3F and a big bullet is still hot.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, the 32 S&W is very weak. Notice that the max load in the Lyman book is 1.5 g. of Bullseye for that bullet. One of the problems with those revolvers is the overly large cylinder-to-barrel gap, which allows a lot of gas to escape. Be careful of a stuck bullet in the barrel.