In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

44 mag reloaders....

cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
I just started reloading for the 44 mag and have a small supply of Alliant 2400 given to me by a friend.

There is plenty of data for the 200+ grain bullets, but among others I picked up a box of 180 grain Hornady XTP bullets for cheap and can't seem to find any data for them...?

Im looking for a lighter to mid range load if possible, does anyone have any suggestions for this combination?

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use 180gr generic bullet data with the powder your using. And as usual start in the safe zone and work the ladder.

Lyman Puts the start load for Alliant 2400 180gr.
    Start 21.3
    Max 25.5

Page 377
    49th Edition
  • Options
    cwinncwinn Member Posts: 1,223 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you very much. My Speer manual has no data for any 180 Gr. .44 bullets and several internet searches turned up little info as well.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For less than full tilt loads friends liked Herco. I really only load my cast 429421 and Bluedot (be aware that the the old Hurcules is not the same as Allient) has worked well. I ran 32 lbs of 5744 but it got hard to find for a while. Unique might work good for your softer load, I don't like it for the high end though.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used pounds of Unique making loads in the 10 grain range for plinking about with all sorts of bullets in the 180-250 gr range. Not a thumper and makes cases and powder last a long time, but just enough oomph to know you touched off a round with a little bit of power.

One site had 21.0 gr as a starter for 2400 with a 180 JHC, with a 23.3 gr as a max. Another had 23.0 as the max with a similar bullet.
  • Options
    BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago when the 180 XTP's came out Grafs had a bulk sale, I bought 10 boxes. When they came in I ran to load up a few, then my excitement came crashing down when I could not find data(Gore had not invented the internet yet). I finally found generic data in the old Hercules reloading guide I had for shotgun reloading.