In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45acp carbide die life

Had some trouble sizing S&B 45 acp.I think my Lee carbide die might be worn out.Can this happen?It is very old. three die set.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would be the first person I ever heard of wearing out a carbide die. Ask Lee I'd bet they would love to see a worn out die, how many 1000's do you think it's sized?
  • Options
    DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had it for 20+ years.Maybe the brass was the proablem.i couldnt get it sized down enough.The brass came out of a mac subgun.Maybe blown out of spec to far??
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Lee's dies are tungsten carbide. The should never wear out. What is the problem? Not chamber in firearm? Or not hold a bullet??
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Wont hold bullet.Used the lee crimp seater and a rcbs taper crimp both.Neither would hold.You could see the crimp in the bullet but it was still loose.I ran all the brass thru a 243 sizer and the the bullets would crimp tight then.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MUCH more likely to be an undersized bullet or an oversized expander, in that order.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    My Star carbide die has loaded over 350,000 rounds never a problem. are you cleaning your cases first in a case cleaner[?][?][?]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All cleaned.I measure some.Inside show 448-449 I tried two different manufactures fmj bullets and both seem to just slip in the case.Cast is ok.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Be aware that case wall thickness can vary a great deal in 45ACP brass .I have never used S&B brass but some Remington and TZZ brass is very thin walled . Look at the sticky post on top of this forum on crimping Semi Auto pistol rounds. Make very sure that the seated bullets are not loose in the case or when the bullet hits the feed ramp it COULD push the bullet further down in the case. This could result in less air space and then higher pressures result. KABOOMblows the magazine out and grips off. .I have also seen many 45acp jacketed bullets as small as .450 . small bullets and thin walled cases RECIPE for problems. Change to WW or WCC match brass and see if trouble goes away . I have 3 different Sizing dies.you could order them in .0005 increments from Star years ago. I don't know who makes this different sizing available today.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This has been my experence also with Rem brass. > quote:case wall thickness can vary a great deal in 45ACP brass
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    You will wear out before your carbide die.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My Dillon has about 25,000 rounds through it. Still sizing good.
    That S&B brass out of a Mac is blown out from the big chamber.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    My thinking is, if Karl can't wear a carbide 45 acp die out, it can't be done.[:D]
    W.D.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The original Lifetyme carbide die advertised a million rounds service life.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan, your die is fine. It's the brass that's crappy. S&B ought to stand for Scrap and Buy (better stuff).

Oh, and if you've never heard this, the merest whisper of lube on about every 20th case will make even a carbide die work about ten times slicker. You won't even have to wipe it off if you use it sparingly enough.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I think that brass is junk.I know a lot of rifle reloaders dont like it either.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I know a commercial reloader who wore out a carbide 9mm after a few million rounds. So it can happen, but I don't see you doing it anytime soon.

I agree, check brass thickness, etc. Maybe measure OD vs. a known good round and compare from there.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I throw out all S & B brass, 45 and 9mm.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've never had a problem with any S&B brass that I've used, but it sounds like the MAC chamber might be the culprit.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A friend, Sparky Fulmer now dead, owner of Buffalo Rock Shooters Supply in Ottawa Ill loaded ammo by the millions, He would replace a carbide sizing die on the 38 Spl line after about 3-5 million rounds due to its getting out of round.

You or I will never wear a carbide die out in a lifetime.