In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading 9mm - Case Expanding?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I only started shooting and reloading 9mm late last year. My first 9mm was a Walther P-38 P1. I had no problems with the case length on the reloads. Earlier this year I purchased new a Glock 17 and Beretta 92fs. Everytime I've reloaded cases shot from these 2 I've had to do case trims on them. So far I've reloaded them 3 or 4 times.I have mixed cases but it doesn't seem to matter what kind, thickness etc - they seem to stretch just enough to take them out of spec. Does anyone know if this is common for brass shot from these 2 firearms? It just seems really strange to me?

Comments

• MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have any suggestions.
    To the best of my knowledge, I've never trimmed a 9mm case and don't seem to have any functional problems with the bajillion rounds I've loaded.
    On the other hand, I don't shoot either Beretta or Glock.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Well that's.... very strange.

Did you try dropping a sized unloaded case in the chamber to see if it fully seats? Are you crimping? Have you measured your sized brass to see if it actually has stretched, or are you just going by whether it chamber? Are you trimming to spec length or enough to chamber? What's your load/bullet weight?

I'd probably make a chamber cast with Cerrosafe.
  • fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds to me like the brass is stretching to the chamber, try not trimming said brass (1 gun at a time) and load a mild load and see if the measurement changes(assuming u have measured with calipers). if no change rock out and try same process with other said gun
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I agree most likely the cases are bulged from both the Glock and 92. this plus the resizing die is not removeing all of the bulge . try some ammo in the walter then reload it then with the same cases shoot it in the tupperware gun and reload I bet it will not chamber. For the most part you may not be able to use ammo more then once in your Glock
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I share in Mobuck's experience, a boatload of 9mm reloads with no case-length problems, in a lot of different kinds of 9mm's. I currently shoot the 9 in a CZ75 SA, a 1911, and a P-38, and the reloads all interchange.

Perry Shooter may be close to the heart of the problem. I once bought some .45 brass that had been fired in M1A1 Thompsons. When I sized it, the sides of the cases became parallel again, but the cases had grown outrageously in length - and because of uneven stretching, they came out longer on one side, resulting in a canted case mouth. Greatly oversize chambers play havoc.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am just approaching my first bajillion 9mm loads, but I have never run into this kind of a problem. The Glock is known for bulging cases at the head and there are push-though dies made for the 40 and 45, can't do the 9mm because of the case taper, to take the bulge out. I have loaded first fireds from both the spaghetti shooter and drastic-plastic for my P-35s and AT-84 with no problems. I use the carbide sizing die as my taper crimp and it works great. 9mm brass seems to have the widest set of case dimension variables anywhere, could the case mouths be thick enough to cause some sort of pressure drawing when the bullet leaves the case mouth because the case can't spring open enough for free passage? That's a major SWAG, obviously.
  • elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ruger Black Hawk, Ruger P-89, Star FireStar--Never a problem Lyman 358212 works great!! [:)]