In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hoppe's Bore Snake

I have a Hoppe's bore snakes for cleaning 22 cal. pistols and rifles.They sure clean good.Do the 30 cal.and 12 gauge work as good?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I have 4 or 5 and they all work good. I do use a regular rod too when required or with treatments like JB Bore paste.
  • Options
    badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My 30 cal works just fine.
    The 12 ga works but a very dirty bore still requires a brush.
    Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use them in 5 calibers, they work great if used after every shooting session, after multiple sessions usually need to first brush the bores , still a good product
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they work great for what the are designed to do. A lighter cleaning used more often. Not for cleaning your gun every 5,ooo or so rounds. I did learn one thing awhile back about the bore snakes. All of the snakes made within the last 3-4 years except the 22 have the caliber stamped on them in the little brass section.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have a question about the wisdom of using a bore snake. All my life I have been told to not use an aluminum rod because the grit in the bore would impregnate the soft rod and then the rod would turn into abrasive rod quickly wearing the bore. If this is a correct result. Then tell me why a ROPE/SNAKE would not be more prone to being contaminated by this same grit and quickly wearing out the rifle unless cleaned after each pass through the Bore. Seems to me a braided rope would be a worst case to collect grit during use and even storage. just my opinion.[V]
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I assume because the rope is pliant as opposed to an aluminum rod, the grit would not be as abrasive against a barrel.

I usually just run/or pull a patch soaked in CLP immediately after a shooting session and by the time I get home, cleaning is a two or three patch swab.

For my shotguns, I use my old TICO tool.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Depends.

For a .22, they are the bees knees, and are all I use.

For rifle, they are great to have at a gunshow to look at dirty or greasy bores, assuming the owner will let you run one through.

I use them for corrosive military ammo; drop the weight from the muzzle to the breech, drop the bore snake in a bucket of boiling hot soapy water, pull through once, then back, after 2-3 passes it's done.

But for regular cleaning, I find they do not do much for centerfire rifles. Helps, but still needs a patch/rod.

For handguns... good enough, but you still need to strip down now and then to remove carbon from everywhere else.

Never tried for shotgun.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aluminium Oxide will scratch glass. I have brass and steel rods but but my 44 revolver rod is a graphite/nylon bushing material.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The difference is that grit embedded on aluminum rod protrudes from the hard surface & the abrasive is all that touches the bore. Not nearly so with a BoreSnake which is compressible, cannot wear bore nearly as effectively.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are easy to clean, too. I have them in .38, .45, 12 guage, .22, and .28, and I throw them in the washing machine by themselves whenever they get dirty. They come out good as new.

Dunk the brush portion in Hoppes and you'll get a thorough cleaning after a pass or two. Then I put some oil on the end section and run it through the barrel on the last pass.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 what Perry Shooter said.
    Makes sense that grit in the bore snake would be less harmful than grit on an aluminum rod, but still not ideal IMHO.
    Guess how much of an issue this might be would depend on how much you shoot and how much you clean.[:D]