In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

rws rimfire ammo

llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
How does the rws rimfire ammo stack up against Wolf (slightly less expensive) and the more/equally expensive Ely and Lapua offerings?

Looking to get more consistency than the ammo I've been using (Rem sub sonic hps - plenty accurate most time but not consistent enough). I've tried Wolf, and got consistently large groups. CCI sub sonic hps group better than the wolf and are more consistent than the Rem subs, but don't group as well as the Rem subs.

Any other ammo I should try in the ~$7/50 range?

Comments

• Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For consistency, I've read that you should sort the ammo with a rim thickness gauge. Then shoot the various assortments to see which is more consistent. I bought such a gauge but have been reloading a large quantity of 223 and 9mm Mak and haven't had time to use the guage and shoot my 22LR rifles. Since it seems your rifle likes the Remington subsonics why not buy a gauge and sort the subsonics before spending money on other brands? My intent is to just that with my 10/22 which loves the Rem subsonics.

BTW, I kept all of all the various 22 ammo around to test in other rifles to see what they like.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    each rifle/pistol is a law unto itself, just to note that wolf=lapua, same/same for the price range (made on the same machinery).
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you want small groups then there are many brands of good ammo however to say one brand is the best compared to another brand is IMHO impossible. Ammo is made in LOT #. That is they set up the machines and load all one run before shutting down the equipment.You might get a good lot of say Eley and a not so good lot of RWS then the next time this might be reversed . small bore match shooters will buy a brick of say 5 different lot numbers from a dealer like Champions shooter supply test each lot # and then call Champions choice back and ask Homer to send you X amount of Boxes, / Bricks, / or Cases of that LOT of ammo. if you are buying less then a brick at a time you are wasting your time. I used to buy 4 cases at a time .
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try CCI standard velocity in the 100 count plastic packs. It really shoots well for a inexpensive ammo. Wolf Match Target, Aguila Super Extra has shot well too. I have some RWS and am not impressed in my guns, it shoots great but shows bad fliers every so often.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    Try CCI standard velocity in the 100 count plastic packs. It really shoots well for a inexpensive ammo. Wolf Match Target, Aguila Super Extra has shot well too. I have some RWS and am not impressed in my guns, it shoots great but shows bad fliers every so often.

Can't find any locally. CCI Subsonic HPs are more consistent than the Remingtons - fewer flyers and they didn't fly as far - but not as accurate (just over 1 moa @ 50 yards). Did over pay for a box of CCI Green Tag and it was giving me 2.5-3" at 50 yards... The Remingtons give me sub-MOA groups most of the time, but I run about 10% fliers and they are off by 1" or more. Of course, a lot of that could be the nut behind the trigger...
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    each rifle/pistol is a law unto itself,...

Ain't that the truth. I bought a CZ452, and some Federal match ammo. It fired shotgun patterns. Then I tried some Winchester bulk-packed Xpert stuff, and it gave me 1/2 inch (1 MOA) for 10 shots at 50 yards.

BTW, watch out when using CB caps in a long barrel, such as the 25-inch CZ. I had one stick in the bore an inch from the muzzle.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    RWS makes high quality products , their #11 Caps for muzzleloaders are the best there is !
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Try some Federal 711's (Gold Medal Match); they are more consistently loaded than many other "high-end" rimfire ammo.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Try some Federal 711's (Gold Medal Match); they are more consistently loaded than many other "high-end" rimfire ammo.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505

We heard ya the first time ! LOL