In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

155smk .308 help!!!!!

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
ok i am just now trying to load just off my L&G (.020) and i am having a small problem i need advise on.

1 time fired FGMM brass i trimmed 300 all to same length of 2.0065, and my Ogive for my rifle is 2.3695 w/155smk (with hornady comparartor set and OAL gauge and case set), and when i load to 2.3500 i can put pressure on bullet (side to side) and it pops right out of case. i know i can load them deeper but what would cause the issue of not being able to set .02 off L&G?

i am loading per hornady 8th edition

neck sized only, all fired from my bolt gun, i am reloading to, .002 neck tension.

i did not have this prob loading .020 off with my 155 scenars (lapua)

Comments

• Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How deep are they seated in the case neck?
    Bearing surface, not counting boattail.

Sounds like you will have to seat deeper just to keep the bullet in the brass through normal handling and loading.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you feel it necessary or worthwhile to load to that specific length, you may need to use a flatbase bullet or go to a heavier/longer bullet. Possibly look for a bullet with a shorter boattail allowing a longer bearing surface.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    How deep are they seated in the case neck?
    Bearing surface, not counting boattail.

Sounds like you will have to seat deeper just to keep the bullet in the brass through normal handling and loading.

i would be shocked if it is more than .007 give or take
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    If you feel it necessary or worthwhile to load to that specific length, you may need to use a flatbase bullet or go to a heavier/longer bullet. Possibly look for a bullet with a shorter boattail allowing a longer bearing surface.

yea as i said i dont have this prob with 155 lapua pills, but i dont like being set to 1 bullet/powder setup, and wanted to try smk, but i dont think i will be able to load any less than .040 off L&G to feel "safe". i do plan on doing more bullet weight, style, design over time
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would say this bullet in your rifle is not a good choice. Benchrest ammo is often not field ammo. Did they shoot well single loaded?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well before i was loading out in length, i was loading WAY shallow (compared to throat in rifle) they were jumping almost a .10 of inch, they shot ok, i was right around moa. but with loading lapua's longer it shot on ragged hole for a 20 shot group
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One ragged hole doesn't happen all that often. I'd gather up lots of those components and be done looking for a load for that rifle.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so are you saying that the bullet is seated into the case neck by only .007"?

what is the OAL of your loaded round, when seated at .020" off?

SMK's tend to be, by my experience, shorter in the bearing surface dept, with a somewhat longer boat tail.

If you say that when you push them side to side, and they come out, that can be several things. 1 it is not seated deep enough (hence your question) 2 there is not enough neck tension (how much neck tension do you have?) and 3 you annealed the necks past the point where the brass becomes wayyy too soft (I assume since you didn't mention annealing, that this is not your issue)

Have you held a bullet up next to a loaded round to get an idea of how much bearing surface is in the case neck? I assume this is a factory barrel we are talking about?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    One ragged hole doesn't happen all that often. I'd gather up lots of those components and be done looking for a load for that rifle.

not to be rude but it does happen ALOT, i have 5 loads now diff powders/bullets it likes, this is first 155 smk i am trying to load out.

i have 3 loads i can shoot 20+ rounds non stop only to reload single round at a time, all inside the size of a quater.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    so are you saying that the bullet is seated into the case neck by only .007"?

what is the OAL of your loaded round, when seated at .020" off?

SMK's tend to be, by my experience, shorter in the bearing surface dept, with a somewhat longer boat tail.

If you say that when you push them side to side, and they come out, that can be several things. 1 it is not seated deep enough (hence your question) 2 there is not enough neck tension (how much neck tension do you have?) and 3 you annealed the necks past the point where the brass becomes wayyy too soft (I assume since you didn't mention annealing, that this is not your issue)

Have you held a bullet up next to a loaded round to get an idea of how much bearing surface is in the case neck? I assume this is a factory barrel we are talking about?

yes roughly only .007 AT BEST seated in the neck. off the top of my head the OAL seat at .020 was 2.9270 give or take .005 due to bullet inconsitancy. Neck tention is .0015 or .3065 ID at case neck. No i dont annel. Yes i have held up next to pill tto loaded case and it is roughly right above boat tail NOT BY MUCH. Yes factory barrel
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to rude but one ragged hole is way smaller than a quarter unless your shooting a 20mm.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you have a choice to make:

Seat the bullets deeper
    or pull the barrel and shorten the throat
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    you have a choice to make:

Seat the bullets deeper
    or pull the barrel and shorten the throat

yea i seated them deaper, and the gun is going to SPR in naples FL in a few months for rebarreling, action trueing and whole 9 yards
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think I would shoot the five known good loads til the barrel wore out, THEN rebarrel with a shorter throat.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hawk Carse
    I think I would shoot the five known good loads til the barrel wore out, THEN rebarrel with a shorter throat.

yea that is kinda what i am doing, but i have ot been loading close enough to L&G. basically i am almost getting over pressure due short seating because of long throat (flattened primmers), so i am trying to load out to lessen the PSI.