In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

help for a new reloader

ni haoni hao Member Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭
I am reloading some .38 spl. I am using 125gr.fmj bullets. My sizing die did not properly size all my brass, and 10-15 bullets have fallen inside the brass casings when I tried to crimp the casings. How can I get these bullets out of the casings? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use these
    www.midwayusa.com product #215517
    They are the only way when the bullet is too far down.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    dcs thanks for your help. This seems to be what I need.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pulling them is the best way, you can reuse the components. If you have lots of them you might look at uniform case length, the shape of the belling mandrel.
  • Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are u sure u hve the right diameter bullets? is ur sizing die touching the shell holder? it should be. something is amiss here.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you using 9mm bullets by accident?
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BamBam beat me to it!

It could also be that the fmj's are sized .355 for 9mm-.38 Super, and the sizing die is making the cases for .358 sized bullets. If they are 9mm bullets, a short bullet "shank" and long ogive, no cannelure, and seating die set too deep, will easily push them in too far. I'm sure we've all set the seater too deep at one point or another, it's part of learning how to find the correct depth for that particular bullet.

If you don't already have these, I'd recommend these as mandatory for any new reloader:

Bullet puller: Helps salvage mistakes.
    Digital powder scale: Accurately weighs charges, bullets, cases.
    Digital calipers: Accurately measures bullets, case length.
    Case trimming set up: Trims long cases to specs.

There are other things that are useful; vibratory case cleaner, primer pocket cleaner, etc.

Be save and have fun!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the info. The bullets are .357 in diameter. I think the problem was when I first started sizing, the sizing die was not properly adjusted. I had 12 bullets that seated to deep out of 300 bullets. I went back and resized the cases and all were fine after that. Thanks again for your help and suggestions.
  • Options
    do_wa_diddydo_wa_diddy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    kinetic bullet puller.