In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45acp Small Primer Question...

floorguy24floorguy24 Member Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've only loaded/been loading large pistol primers in my 44 Magnum & 45acp loads.

After shooting this weekend, I came up with a bucket load of new Federal small primer 45acp brass.

So I'm wondering, are any "disadvantages" to reloading this small primer brass? Should I be changing the powder/grains that I use for the larger primer loads?

Any input/opinion is welcomed... [^]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should look at your loading data for the answer. In working terms I would think that 4.5 gr of bulleye could not tell the difference in what it was lit by in a 1911. My Lyman 310 tool will not work well with small primers in a 7mm mauser head size.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experiments, .45 NT brass reloaded with small pistol standard primers lost 25-40 fps versus .45 ACP brass reloaded with large pistol standard primers; depending on the powder. If that matters, you can get back to where you were by EITHER using a small pistol magnum primer OR a little heavier powder charge. (Assuming you were not at maximum to start with.)

Unless you were right at the minimum for gun function, Power Factor, or at a very carefully selected accuracy load, it won't make a difference in routine shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I checked my loading data first and couldn't find anything related to the primer size, so that's when I posted.

It sounds like it shouldn't make much difference, as these loads are all for basic target shooting anyway. So I'll start with a few low loads and go from there.

Thanks for the help. [;)]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On a functional level, there's no difference.

If small pistol primers are sufficient to ignite loads in the 357 magnum with heavier powder charges than the 45, your 45 will be just fine with small pistol primers.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    If you have a progressive loading tool like Dillon or Star you will have to change the priming parts in the reloader . and you will curse the day you put the whong type case in your machine. [:(!][:(]
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    P-S is right, make SURE you cull out the large from the small primer cases if you progessively reload...trying to squeeze a LP into a SP pocket can lead to a ferocious jam, a BANG! or worse. Be safe!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Single stage, so no problems.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good deal, much easier to see whats goin on. I use two progessives, and when a primer jams it's a headache royale! I also have 3 Lee single-stages side by side for calibers that I don't progressively load, like near-max loads in .44 Mag or .45 Colt/.454 Casull. (It's almost like progressive loading; with the dies set up in each one, I move from press to press.)
    Have a good one!
  • Options
    do_wa_diddydo_wa_diddy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    their is no loss in power. "ALL" NT brass is from lead-free ammo. it was less expensive to change the pocket then to make a lead-free lg primer. 99% of sm primers are already lead-free. I had a class 06 FFL. call ATK customer service they will verify this.