In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

308 Neck Die

I see that Hornady list a 308 neck zize die that can be used for other calibers.7.5x55-30/06-300 etc.Can most necks dies for the 308 be used for other calibers or is this something that Hornady came up with?I am looking at a carbide neck die from Lyman now.
https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=00005046045

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DresserDan,

Hornady manufactures 3 types of .30 caliber dies:

1) 30 Cal Neck Size Die (.308) 1 Each (caliber specific)

SKU: 046045 | 1/EA

MSRP: $30.95

2) 30 Cal Mag Neck Size Die (.307) 1 Each (caliber specific)

SKU: 046057 | 1/EA

MSRP: $30.95

3) 308 Win MatchT Grade Neck Size Die 1 Each (cartridge specific)

SKU: 544357 | 1/EA

MSRP: $53.20

The first two are caliber specific which means it will neck size for .30 caliber but it doesn't touch the body or shoulder of the case. This will do a multitude of .30 caliber cases except those that are considered to be Magnum. That's why they list a 'Magnum' neck sizer in addition to the standard.

The third die is cartridge specific to the .308 Win. only.

I have a fairly complete set of these dies to use when I'm making wildcat cartridges or experimenting with something different.

Best.
  • Options
    demo-dandemo-dan Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really want to thank you guys for your knowledge. I think if I get up the guts there may be a chance I'd do some loading or reloading myself. You guys know your stuff.
  • Options
    DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks.I think I will go with the Lyman Carbide 308.I should be able to use it for the other calibers that need neck sizing.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by demo-dan
    I really want to thank you guys for your knowledge. I think if I get up the guts there may be a chance I'd do some loading or reloading myself. You guys know your stuff.

You should start! Yes, little scary at first but that's a good thing keeps ya focused on what you are doing. Follow the steps in any reload book and your good to go!
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so what you're telling me is, someone beat me to my brilliant idea of having a multi cartridge/same bullet diameter neck sizer?

I'm suing.