In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Finally have a true 1MOA rifle...

Rewind to December...

Wife bought me a Browning X-Bolt .243 for Christmas. After I mounted the scope, I bought a box of Federal Power-shok and went to the range to sight it in. First five shots out of the barrel were right at 1" grouping. Thought it was just luck but shot three more 1" inch groups with the other 15 rounds in the box.

Fast forward to now...

Have been loading up some rounds to try in the .243 for both varmint and deer using various bullets and powders. Went to the range this morning to unload a few.

Took five different loads with me from FMJs (Hornady & Sierra) to SPs (Hornady & Sierra) to TSX (Barnes) in weights varying from 80 gr. to 100 gr using IMR 4064 and H100V, in Federal and Winchester cases with Federal 210 and WLR primers.

All five loads shot 1" or less at 100 yards.

I've heard people say a gun shoots better than they do...well, this one does. This rifle is definitely a keeper!!!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You are doing great. True joy is one that will shoot one ragged hole at 100. If you get into it you should be able to get your rifle to shoot way better with your ammo than the factory. Keep good notes.
  • Options
    McDAccountantMcDAccountant Member Posts: 466 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    With one of the loads today, put 4 rounds through a hole less than the size of a dime but had one that was just "outside" the hole. This rifle seems to like everything I've fed it so far.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats a keeper! I'll get a gun that'll group a few loads great, but not all of them.

The best I have so far: a Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and a straight-pull Mauser 96 in .270. Both LOVE their yellow/green plain-jane Remington factory ammo, and shoot other stuff alomost as well.

Keep it up, you'll be hooked on making those groups shrink even further when you find what it really likes.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Savage Mk II BTV in 22lr will do MOA if I do my part... which doesn't happen often.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    browning bolt guns tend to be pretty accurate. You "should", with the right load, get her under MOA with a fair amount of regularity.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's good hearing about great shooting rifles; whether fed factory fodder or handloads. [^]