In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First reloaded squib round

I have reloaded at least 100,000 rounds in various calibers, over about 20 years, and last week had my first squib. I was shooting my 5 shot .38 snubbie at the range, had already shot 15 or 20 rounds of the 200 I had loaded for this trip, and then CLICK, and no bang. An attempt to pull the trigger again found the gun tied up. Also not possible to open the cylinder, so this gun is done for the day. Back at home in the gun room, after I had convinced my self that I had failed to charge this case, I slid my caliper down the barrel to find out the bullet was moved forward thus tying the gun up. A few taps with a wooden dowel and small hammer move the bullet back far enough to open the cylinder, now to find out what happened. Put the round in the bullet puller, a few raps and out she comes, along with the powder charge, which was the correct weight. Further investigation finds the de-capping pin that I thought I had broken during the run, stuck in the flash hole! Apperantally short enough to allow the bullet to seat to proper length, but large enough to prevent all the spark from the primer from finding the powder charge. Anyone else ever had this happen?

Comments

• Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nope, but I've only reloaded tens of thousands of rounds, not hundreds.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In some cases where the flash hole is plugged or nonexistant, the primer itself will back out and tie up the cylinder.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have broken my share of pins, never had one stick in the flash hole channel. I do use the Lyman flash hole uniformer/deburr tool on all my brass. I also hand scrape the primer pocket after depriming plus look for splits/etc at that same time.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've broken one decapping pin. It was in an "off brand" of ammo that had flash holes that were way too small. Got stuck in the first case, pulled right out of the die.

I tossed the rest of that brand (only bought one box) and never purchased it again.
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Last month found that I discovered that we had a pin stuck in the flash hole when we went to prime. Quite an unexpected happening. The primer breaking off and lodging in the flash hole was a first time happening for me and by luck found before charging up. [:0]

( We'd managed to break several pins during this endeavor, as we were decapping a very large quantity of brass, of a large range of types and makes. ) [:(]