In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Does anybody....

HollywoodHollywood Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
...tumble primed brass before loading?[:0]

Comments

• reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spent primer yes....fresh primer NO
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,130 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And the reason why not is because media will get down in the flashhole - with no way to get it out.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Until you pull the trigger. Which in my experience causes no issue. The primer unseats the little bit of debris just fine.

Mind you I don't do it. I tumble after sizing as some lube is in the case, if I tumble at all. Depends on the lube and dies.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not me-
    De-prime/re-size. Then ultrasonic tank, Tumbler, Prime, Reload. For me.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    Not me-
    De-prime/re-size. Then ultrasonic tank, Tumbler, Prime, Reload. For me.

Same procedure for me also plus checking for trim to length! The main purpose of the ultrasonic tank cleaning is to remove any lubes outside and inside the case and this will extend the life of the media. (sizing lubes on the cases shorten the life of the polishing media)
    I also run a paper clip wire through the primer hole on all the cases IMMEDIATELY before I install the new primer. (polishing media will stick in the primer hole sometimes and this insures a open primer flame channel.

But I sometimes do a double duty run by Using a lee decapping die which does not require a lube, it just deprimes the brass, then to the media for first time polish, then full size and trim, then to the ultrasonic for degreasing, and then sometimes back for a final finish polish if the brass looks tarnished coming out of the ultrasonic. I also uniform the primer hole inside the case, then right before reloading I match the brass within 5% by weight.

Most non-reloaders or new reloaders do not realize that PROPER brass preparation requires the most effort in reloading prep, even with new brass for consistent accuracy.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always clean the brass first in a vibratory cleaner and then re-size/deprime/prime. I've found that the de-capping pin pushes any debris out of the flash hole during depriming. That said, I've only been loading for a few years, can someone explain why it's better to clean after sizing/depriming, as eceryone here seems to do?
  • oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not better to clean after priming ! I , like you , clean my brass before sizing . That way you aren't introducing any dirt into the die . I've always thought that was common sence , and accepted practice among seasoned reloaders !
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm a clean, size/deprime, then I put the cases aside to examine them for cracks, etc. If the primer pockets are dirty, I'll give it a quick twist with a Lee primer pocket cleaner. (If I'm using case lube, I will also wipe the outsides down with a cloth after sizing/depriming.) After this, I'll prime and then load.

But to each his/her own I guess.
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with the last 3 posters.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    +1--last 4 posters
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    I de-prime & load as normal, i dont clean.[:)]
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I put the brass into the vibrator 'as fired', and size/deprime after removing and rolling the brass in soft cloths to remove any external vibrator residue. Tumbling primed brass will plug most flash holes and introduce some finer contaminants into the primers themselves.