In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is reloading hard to do?

Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
I've always wanted to try it. I was just wondering how hard it was. I have a guy trying to trade me a 4 hole Lee classic turret and a Lymon T mag press and a deluxe pistol dye set. Is this a decent set up for a beginner? I know nothing at all about it.

Comments

• Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good set up... But not necessarily for a beginner.

Better to use a single stage press and go SLOW...
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Get a few reloading books and read up on it. I find it relaxing and something to do on a rainy day and have fun doing it. Something you put together and it works is my mind thought. And you can tune the ammo to your specific rifle or pistol for better accuracy. To me it is what you put into it and want out of it. It can be addictive.
  • Options
    Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So does this set up do 4 rounds at a time?
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    The Lyman is a good one. I had so much trouble with a Lee 4 hole it went away and a Dillon is in place now. I still use a old Lyman All American. Get the Lyman reloading book and read it through when starting, and if you have a friend or gun club mamber that will show you how, all the better.

EDIT..Start with the T-Mag, you can use it like a single stage, but don't have to move the dies [;)]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

agreed.

Get the turret press and put it in storage for awhile.

Get a single stage press kit (I like the Lee anniversary or breech lock kit) and learn what goes on at each and every stage of the process before getting ahead of yourself.

Reloading isn't difficult per se, but does require attention to detail, willingness to abide by certain rules, and some discipline to create repeatable patterns and processes.

There's a learning curve and it's necessary to be willing to spend the time up front and not get discouraged as you learn the basics and stages.

welcome to the club and happy reloading.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oklahoma223

Different dies in the head for different processes during prep and loading.

I started on a single stage and 5+ years later I am still using it with no plans to replace.

I only load for rifle. I think pistol is a little different so it may work out better for you.

Plus what nemesisenforcer said.

There is also a boatload of knowledge in the reloading forum.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is reloading hard to do?

No- Not at all, The Lyman T-mag Turret will serve you well out of the chute, Its still one of my "Go-to" presses.

Come Visit us over here and we will get you pointed in he right direction-[:)]
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9
  • Options
    Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1

No. It does one round at a time. You set up all the dies to complete the round 3 or 4 depending on crimping or not and you size and deprime in one. The next you put a new primer and powder in the casing, third you place bullet in casing and seat it. and forth you crimp if needed.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a nine, start off by loading 9mm using Blue Dot powder. 9mm is easy to load, a real good beginning point. When using Blue Dot you are idiot proofing the process. It is physically impossible to double charge Blue Dot in a 9mm case as the powder is too bulky. As a beginner always try and use powder that you cannot double charge. Bullseye is a powder that is great for inexpensive target shooting but a double powder charge will fit in a 9mm case with room to spare.

38 Special is also very easy for a newbie. Actually, any common straight walled handgun cartridge is pretty easy.

I personally enjoy reloading almost as much as shooting or hunting. There is that extra bit of personal satisfaction when the deer goes down and you were shooting your own loads.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Learn on a Single Stage press FIRST. You can move to a progressive later.
  • Options
    retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58

agreed.

Get the turret press and put it in storage for awhile.

Get a single stage press kit (I like the Lee anniversary or breech lock kit) and learn what goes on at each and every stage of the process before getting ahead of yourself.

Reloading isn't difficult per se, but does require attention to detail, willingness to abide by certain rules, and some discipline to create repeatable patterns and processes.

There's a learning curve and it's necessary to be willing to spend the time up front and not get discouraged as you learn the basics and stages.

welcome to the club and happy reloading.
    Ed ZACHARY... [;)]
  • Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You guys are missing an obvious solution here. If he uses the Lee Classic Turret, all he has to do is remove the center index rod that rotates the turret, and he will have a single stage press without the aggravation of changing dies for each stage. Removing the index rod takes about 3 seconds, and inserting it takes about 5 seconds, returning the press to a auto indexing press.

Another advantage to the Lee press is how quickly you can change dies for another caliber.
  • Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    READ up on the basics, if possible have the guy sit down with you to show you the basics.
    Read the info again, then follow up with more reading from different sources.
    There a a couple of dvd's on reloading out there.
    You will need more then the dies and press. a quality scale for one thing.
    It is not hard to reload, it just takes a commitment to following all the rules, and instructions.
    When you reload that's what you do, reload, distractions can cause mistakes, mistakes in reloading can cause serious injury to you or others.
    Start slow, learn and have fun reloading, I have for over 35 years.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bubba Jr.
    You guys are missing an obvious solution here. If he uses the Lee Classic Turret, all he has to do is remove the center index rod that rotates the turret, and he will have a single stage press without the aggravation of changing dies for each stage. Removing the index rod takes about 3 seconds, and inserting it takes about 5 seconds, returning the press to a auto indexing press.

Another advantage to the Lee press is how quickly you can change dies for another caliber.

I agree with Bubba.....Lee stuff is cheap, but other than the Pro-1000, their press's are good, but then, its pretty hard to screw them up!!! Even the Pro-1000 can be made to work, if one is patient and forets about even trying to use its primer system.......just use it to deprime, then prime by hand, or another press, then reload the brass and finish loading. The classic four hole is a pretty good press thats easy to make single stage, take the rod out like Bubba said and your good to go.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    I think there is some good advice here, about a single-stage. Do one thing at a time, and do it right.

I've been averaging about 10,000 a year for over 40 years, occasionally with runs of 5,000 (.45 ACP) to 7,000 (9mm). At each stage, you can easily inspect the quality of what is happening.

After the preps, I charge cases about 300 at a time and place them in arrays, where they can be visually inspected for the presence of a powder charge and the absence of a doublecharge. This is important when using any powder, but especially with small-volume charges such as with WST or Bullseye. I use two scales to check the accuracy of what the powder measure is throwing.

The cost savings can be tremendous, enough to put you into lots of other stuff that you like. The time investment only counts if you like to spend your evenings and rainy days in bars, LOL.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the presses you are discussing are actually single stage with a turrent there is no real problem learning on them.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=498276 [:D]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've always wanted to try it. I was just wondering how hard it was. I have a guy trying to trade me a 4 hole Lee classic turret and a Lymon T mag press and a deluxe pistol dyedie set. Is this a decent set up for a beginner? I know nothing at all about it.
    You can use either one of those presses as a single stage...one position just change the dies out....go for it and buy a Lymans reloading manual...I have used a singlestage RCBS Rockchucker for over 20yrs...never even thought about a progressive or turret press...I like handling my rounds[:D]
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    anyone with common sence can get it right, it an art in itself, for some.Some take it to extreems (*).

I done it 20+yrs & stick with medium proven loads & never go wrong. get the sizes right, the powder weight right & the heads crimped in firm, ya on to a winner. [:)]

see a bud do it.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's easy and you need to have several references to read up on.
    A single or turret will do but a good C press full length resizes a lot easier, especially rifle calibers. Doing a load of autopistol ammo
    can be interminably slow making a turret pretty much a must.
    You can even have a row of Lee C presses plus one heavy duty C press for sizing.
    I keep a Lyman All American antique turret plus a RCBS C press mounted.
    Mistakes can and do happen. If you do get involved, you need to pay close attention and not let your thoughts get carried away because it gets boring. That's when errors are made.