In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone reloading 10mm for the MechTech Carbine...

retroxler58retroxler58 Member Posts: 32,693 ✭✭✭
1911_monorail_full.jpg

Bought the MechTech Carbine chambered in 10mm... Web Link
WAS going to chrono it this weekend with standard pistol loads to get an idea of the performance capabilities of the carbine.
BUT, alas it has been crappy weather and so I've been doing some research on reloadin' the 10mm...

All the reloading info I have and can find otherwise is pistol related.
The plan I have is use Speer Gold Dot JHP in 155, 165, and 180 grain loads...
Check to see which one the carbine likes best... [:D]
And then load that recipe...

I figured with the 16" barrel, I ought to get my money's worth out of the powder and get some real velocity.
With that said... A slower burning powder would likely benefit a longer barrel with higher velocities...

Thanks in advance for any insights... [;)]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kinda look around for rifle data for the 10mm on the web. A 44 mag gets 300 fps more in a rifle than pistol. I hope you post your crono results.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've read that the longer barrel will produce about 15 - 20% more velocity with pistol ammo...

Hence the reason, I'm thinking that the longer barrel ought to be put to good use and a slower burning powder utilized.

I could start with a powder that may produce good results and work up to faster burning powders,
    until they burn just too fast to produce the intended results...

Or hopefully find some info that points in that general direction.

I've checked out the reloading info from John Taffin... LINK A well known authority on the 10mm and 10mm MAGNUM loadings.
    His listed loads were producing muzzle velocities well over 1500 fps with 180 and 200 grain bullets...
    And some over 1600 fps... From a standard 8-3/4" barrel... for the 10mm MAGNUM... !!!

His work indicates that a few good powders to use would be Blue Dot, #2400, AA#9, H110, or WW296...
    In order of Fastest to Slowest... burn rate.

I'd LOVE to find some actual load data on a "SLOW" powder for the 10mm...

So far the most info nonavailability is from the "Glock Talk" 10mm reloading forum... LINK
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by retroxler58
    I've read that the longer barrel will produce about 15 - 20% more velocity with pistol ammo...

Hence the reason, I'm thinking that the longer barrel ought to be put to good use and a slower burning powder utilized.

I could start with a powder that may produce good results and work up to faster burning powders,

I've checked out the reloading info from John Taffin... LINK A well known authority on the 10mm and 10mm MAGNUM loadings.
    His listed loads were producing muzzle velocities well over 1500 fps with 180 and 200 grain bullets...
    And some over 1600 fps... From a standard 8-3/4" barrel... for the 10mm MAGNUM... !!!

His work indicates that a few good powders to use would be Blue Dot, #2400, AA#9, H110, or WW296...

So far the most info nonavailability is from the "Glock Talk" 10mm reloading forum... LINK

Robert run some "pistol" rounds thru it and see what happens..and go from there.....my 2 cents....reloader44mag
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reloader44mag

Robert run some "pistol" rounds thru it and see what happens..and go from there.....my 2 cents....reloader44mag
    Until the rains came last weekend... That was the plan.

I've got 300 rounds at the moment and plan to pick up another 200 on Friday coming.

I want to see what the increase in velocity is over a pistol of standard length...
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think case capacity with big bullets will be the limiting factor, there is only so much room for powder. In the IMR series every grain of powder has the same energy content, its the rate at which they yeild the energy that is the ticket. I have P.O. Ackley rifle in 45-350 Rem Mag. The loading data is from Speer Cronograph Labratory with the note 4227 is to fast, 3031 is to slow.

I followed you link to their web site. They dont like reloads. Second thought if you do run hotter than factory they need to be marked somehow. A 38 Super will fit/fire in a 38 ACP usually only once.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to be sure to note that the Link afforded for John Taffin was mostly for 10mm MAGNUM loads...
    NOT necessarily for the 10mm (standard) Loads...
    While John Taffin is said to be an "Expert" with 10mm loadings...
    This particular article was more concerned with 10mm MAGNUM loads...

The Mech-Tech is definitely chambered for the 10mm (standard) and NOT the 10mm MAGNUM.

While I would certainly enjoy the latter... [:D] I anticipate that slower burning powders in the 10mm (standard)
    will result in increased muzzle velocities due the additional barrel length.

I was simply reviewing his results of certain powders in a 10mm platform...
    And fully understand that the 10mm MAGNUM has a greatly increased case capacity over the 10mm (standard).

Any NON-STANDARD pistol loads I developed for the Mech-Tech would certainly be over powered for use in a standard pistol...
    and therefore would be "marked" as such... "NON-STANDARD" 10mm loads.

Although, It would be nice if the Mech-Tech could be chambered for the 10mm MAGNUM...
    Magazine size would be the limiting factor.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One piece of information I had not counted on is in favor of slow burn powder as well...
    With the slower burn powders, the pressure impulse is lessened by the increased time of the burn.
    This alone could allow for a slightly increased amount of powder...
    Enough so that the powder would likely need to be compressed in the 10mm (standard) case.

An additional option to consider could be to "Free Bore" the chamber slightly...
    Thus allowing for even less pressure peaking.

I've got a lot of research yet to do... Reloading is NEVER boring! [^]
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One piece of information I had not counted on is in favor of slow burn powder as well...
    With the slower burn powders, the pressure impulse is lessened by the increased time of the burn.
    Enough so that the powder would likely need to be compressed in the 10mm (standard) case.

An additional option to consider could be to "Free Bore" the chamber slightly...

Do not violate OAL with this round ...pressures increase dramatically...Robert load some standard rounds and build up from there....I do'um in 10's with the same case, bullet, primer and powder charge...just move the powder charge around on the next 10 etc
  • Options
    edited November -1

Do not violate OAL with this round ...pressures increase dramatically...Robert load some standard rounds and build up from there....I do'um in 10's with the same case, bullet, primer and powder charge...just move the powder charge around on the next 10 etc
    Steve... Believe me. I don't violate known boundaries...
    I was hoping that there is some current reloading for the carbine available.

I usually do as you've suggested. And when I feel I'm getting close I do
    'em up in lots of 25 with half increases in powder.

Each casing is examined for exsessive pressure signs BEFORE the next round is touched off.
    This way I can reasonably be assured of not exceeding pressure limits...

Usually takes me three or four times longer than most...
  • Options
    edited November -1

So far the most info that's availabile is from the "Glock Talk" 10mm reloading forum... LINK

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why waste expensive bullets at this point?
    I'd use hard lead or plated bullets to home in on loads then switch to the more effective bullets to see if the various points will feed reliably and refine the loads. Any velocity you're gonna see wont require jacketed bullets.
    Work your way from slower powders like 2400 or 4227 to faster like Power Pistol. Load a bunch of conservative loads you wont have to take apart and only five or ten each of hotter loads.
    If the gun has precautions against max loads, you're on your own.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Why waste expensive bullets at this point?
    I'd use hard lead or plated bullets to home in on loads then switch to the more effective bullets to see if the various points will feed reliably and refine the loads. Any velocity you're gonna see wont require jacketed bullets.
    Work your way from slower powders like 2400 or 4227 to faster like Power Pistol. Load a bunch of conservative loads you wont have to take apart and only five or ten each of hotter loads.
    If the gun has precautions against max loads, you're on your own.

My intentions are to do pretty much as you described above...
    I bought a couple thousand plated 40 cal bullets a couple of years ago,
    and use those for velocity and load testing.
    Once I'm real close to where I think it should be...
    I'll switch to the better bullets to "fine tune" the recipe.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've got a couple hundred standard pistol loadings now and plan to get a couple more tomorrow.
    Come Saturday, the plan is to see how she does against known pistol loadings...