In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chronographs

What is your favorite chronograph?

Comments

• Options
    jimmcgeh@lisco.comjimmcgeh@lisco.com Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm new to reloading and looking at chronographs. I have read good and * reviews for most of the chronographs I have looked up (Shooting Chrony, Pact, Oehler). Any suggestions for a "good" starter unit?
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own 2. A shooting Chrony F 1 master and a (competition electronics) pro chrono digital. The pro chrono digital is more acccurate but the remote control unit is not included and costs more than the machine. I only bought the other one for the convienience.but is more touchy about the light conditions. But for the record, I trust the Pro chrono anyday.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have the Pro Chrono Digital.
    Its biggest advantage is wide windows; I have not yet lost a shot on it. It's biggest disadvantage is that it is downrange, at risk of being shot and requiring a walk to reset.
    I will probably buy the remote control the next time they are on sale.

I have a CED Millenium that was damaged, maybe ruined in the house fire. It is convenient to use with a lot of bells and whistles and has the main unit on the bench. It has a smaller detection window and lower sensitivity, I had to buy the IR illuminator kit to ensure reliable readings. It has a lot of pieces and parts to put together to set up.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've had a Shooting Chrony for about 20yrs. Bought the Beta Master a few years ago. Like it as it has the remote read out.
    Both work good.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The gold standard unit is the Oehler 35P - but it is a LOT more than most hobby reloaders need.

The very basic Shooting Chrony units are fine, as long as you remember to write down every shot readout and do your own math. Models that remember a string of shots are better because you WILL forget to write down shots. Units with a printer are better yet. Units with wider screen spacing are more accurate. Screens mounted on bars are better than units that fold up. Units with an on-bench control/readout are more convenient and easier to read.

Be sure that whatever you buy, you can get replacement shields/shades because you WILL hit them. You may as well buy them right up front. If the whole unit is downrange, you can count on eventually shooting that, too. Check the replacement policy.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've recently read about a new chrono that uses inducers (I guess...) on the barrel instead of shooting over screens...
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Herewith, a plug for the Magnetospeed chronograph.
    Straps to the muzzle of the gun and clocks the bullet going by magnetic sensors instead of optical.

http://www.realguns.com/articles/391.htm
    http://www.magnetospeed.com/

One of our guys was impressed enough to order one.
    I'd wait and see if he likes it before I got one.