In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

170 gr. .270 Speer RN bullets

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
FWIW: I load these with 56 gr. of H4831. I usually use Rem. cases and WLR primers. They shoot very well in most of the rifles I've tried them in. I believe Speer has discontinued these bullets but there's probably a few on dealer's shelves somewhere. I don't know what game they'd be good for or how they would work on animals--I've only used them on paper and they shoot nice, tight groups (usually).

EDIT: Capt'n, Yeah, I generally use 130's, too. I don't think the 170's were ever very popular. I bought a box long ago since it was cheap and thought I'd try them. They do seem to want to shoot. And, like you, I used the old surplus H4831 and when that went away, used the canister H4831. I have since switched to Reloader 22. It seems to group just a tad better and with just a tad more velocity. You might want to give that powder a try and see what you think.

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,
    I've never gone beyond 150gr with the 270, I guess I've had no reason.
    Interesting info though,should be a great round for brush country.
    I'm an old time traditional 270 guy, read everything O'Connor wrote, and load his standard load of 59gr H4831SC, Win LRP primer, and 130gr Nosler Partician, or AccuBond. My dad shot alot of elk with a 270 loaded with 150gr Noslers and O'Connors load. I mostly hunt deer with my 270s, use bigger stuff for elk.
    W.D.
  • Options
    MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was not aware that 170's were available. The Remington 150 Round Nose is an excellent brush load...and actually for almost anything under 200 yds.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My local dealer had one of the new Ruger Americans in .270 on his rack when I was there a couple weeks ago. I brought it home and took it to the range the other day. The first three shots of the above load went into .59". The Oehler 35P read 2642 fps @ 10'.