In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

nononsense/JustC --- imput wanted plz

fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
i am looking to build me a tac match rifle in coming month or so (2 maybe) and would like a tad more imput to what i am reading, hopefully u have some first hand info

rilfe will be R700 trued action yada yada, prob a rock barrel, but delemia i have is in cal. selection

I love .308 but deff has its limitations

so i am considering jumping from the .30 ship to the 6.5 ship.

i am realy trying to settle between 6.5 cm and 6.5x47L -- know i know they are basically brother/sister to each other of sorts.

Now it seems from what i see/read the x47L is a tad bit more accurate due to B/c (not much), brass is more exspenive (not a big deal), and i have read alot of ppl are getting north of 10 reloads on the brass when not loaded stupid hot.

now i have also read what i can find about the 6.5 cm has alot going for it as well, cheaper brass, awsome selection of over the counter ammo if i were to need it (i do reload).

idk i might be forgeting some small stuff i as reading on the two. Also had read that when whiching to a x47L round from a gun that started out as a .308 or sister round that it is not as simple as a barrel swapp, what do they mean by that? my smith will doing whole buid top to bottom front to back, i am just wondering if there is anything diff they have to do in order to chamber a rifle in x47L

So basically do u have anything to put me over the edge on either round?

Thanks a bunch for any imput guys

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fl23in,

This will have to be short as I'm up to my eyeballs at work...

I'm not trying to be rude but when questions are asked it often best if the content is clear.

"but delemia i have is in cal. selection"

Your dilemma is in CARTRIDGE selection since both cartridges are the same caliber.

"Now it seems from what i see/read the x47L is a tad bit more accurate due to B/c (not much)"

BC has nothing to do with accuracy as such. BC is a scale that tells us how the bullet flies in the wind, basically.

The ballistic coefficient (BC) of a body is a measure of its ability to overcome air resistance in flight. This is simply a basic description as there are whole books devoted to this concept.

Now, your quandary is one that has been plaguing shooters for quite some time. There are a couple of good descriptive articles which compere the two, usually with the .260 Rem. thrown in for good measure.

http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.5-shootout-260-6.5x47-6.5-creedmoor/

Be aware that there are 5-pages to this article and that Zak doesn't cover everything equally.

I think it comes down to the 'tactical' use of the rifle. If it's a competition where you don't have the ability to retrieve brass after shooting a stage, we use something like the .260 Rem. brass from Remington or Winchester because it involve lost dollar at each stage. In that same vein, we will often take a .243 Win. for the same reasons.

If the brass is retrievable, then it's a matter the brass itself or the ability to create an accurate load(s).

The Lapua brass is much better than the Hornady, hands down. But the cost has gone overboard in the last couple of months so I'm scaling back all of my Lapua purchases and trying to work with other ideas. Fortunately, I laid in a supply of Lapua brass for several cartridges before the prices went through the roof.

The Creedmoor has a tiny bit more case capacity but the Lapua cartridge seems to have a slight edge in overall accuracy. In any competition with most shooters using one of the 3- or 4- 6.5mm cartridges, anyone can win on any given day. Given conditions and target distance some are even stepping up the 6.5mm on a WSM or RSAUM case. The trend though, in general, is to switch to a 6mm or .243 cartridge.

This is not much help for making your decision but it's foundation for more thinking or trying to get an opportunity to shoot both cartridges at the range.

I have to run...

Best.
  • Options
    fl23infl23in Member Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok i will deff read the article this afternoon when the baby is sleeing. I also want to aplogize for using the wrong terminolgy, just one of those things i got typing and really did not think of the term i was using.

One final question on what you alluded to with loosing brass, how often does that happen were your not able to retrive brass for what ever reason.

i will check back after i read the article and have any futher questions. again i want to thank you for your rply
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    fl23in,

"how often does that happen were your not able to retrive brass for what ever reason."

This will depend upon what type of competitions you chose to shoot. But most of the 'tactical' matches are simulations of 'run and gun' scenarios, where time is a factor. Your score has two factors: target success and time. Usually you and few other shooters shoot a stage then hustle (run/jog/walk) to the next stage. I'm there to compete so I'm certainly going to do my utmost to be the best I can. The brass lays on the ground and I run to the next stage. This leaves no time whatsoever to sort out who's brass is what then move on.

Now a two day tac match can have 60 shots a day or even 100 shots a day. So if you have to leave each piece of brass at each stage each day the least amount of cost at $1.00/pc. is $120.00 but up to $200.00/match.

I shoot between 1 and 2 matches per month. Add the cost of expensive Lapua/Norma/Hornady brass to the already high cost of travel, food and lodging, the answer is to shoot less expensive brass. I am very unwilling to leave a $200.00 batch of brass for the range owner to sell at a profit at my obvious expense.

The only other alternative that I'm aware of is to get sponsorships from major suppliers. But believe me when I tell you these are few and far between given the number of incredibly talented shooters out there today.

The choices are clearly to not shoot the leave behind brass matches or shoot less expensive brass in the event that you have to let the brass stay on the ground.

Best.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    as old as she is, I have a fondness for the 6.5 swede. With the right twist rate, she will run the high BC pills very well. My Ackley Improved version is a superb shooter.

As to the question of not being able to pull it off with a simple barrel swap, that may depend on any modifications that are needed for feeding from the magazine etc. The bolt face on both the 308 and 6.5cm are the same (.473") so that won't be an issue.

Look hard at the 260 like nononsense stated, the brass is everywhere, and easily match prepped with the right tools.