In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 75

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
How would you rate a Wichester 75 Target vs a Model 52? I have a 75 and have been thinking of checking into one of the Shooting Clubs

Comments

• Options
    WinMikeWinMike Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had a 75 for years, shot thousands of rounds thru it, and it's still as accurate as when it was produced. Is your 75 a target model? Does it have the factory sights?

If not, a Mdl 52 could be justified....as if we all need justification for another .22 rifle....

Mine is a target model that had the factory iron sights removed before I acquired it, and has a scope mounted. So it's obviously not eligible for iron sight competition. But it's as accurate as any 52, and either someone worked the trigger or it's inherently a good one, because my trigger feels as good as those 52s I've shot.

The difference is, of course, the Mdle 52 has a slightly different bolt and trigger, a higher level of finish, and a price that reflects that difference.

I'm surprised more shooters don't know about the 75....but maybe we...and the 75 are getting old....
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned to shoot on one more than 50 years ago and it still does its job better than I do mine. It may not have all the bells and whistles of the 52D, but it will still give fine service. Mine has the Redfield Olympic sights and the target stock. If yours is one of the sporter models, as WinMike says, you may want to consider the 52 for true target performance.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had several 75's (sporter and target) as well as several 52's. B and C, no sporters!
    All are gone now, and it's been more than a few years since I've worked the competition circuit, but for what it's worth I'd go back to the 52 without hesitation for serious target work. No disrepect to the 75 but, IMHO, they're as different as night and day. 52 has a better trigger, heavier for sure, and while accuracy difference might not show at 50 feet, my money would be on the 52 for longer range work.