In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shotshell reloading

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just getting into shotshell reloading.Does the Mec 600 Jr Mark v size the hulls, or do I need to get the Sizemaster? Will only be using in pumps and side x sides. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I have been reloading for rifle and pistol for 18 years now and would like to get into shotshells. Mainly for loading non-tox loads for waterfowl to save a ton of $.

What do you recomend for me. I go through about a case of ammo ever year and I seem to always pick up some friends who want loads as well.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not sure if this is something I'd ever get into, but I thought I'd ask.

How many times can you use a hull before you have to toss it. I know it would probably change as to how it's loaded, but a rough number would be helpful.

How much does it actually work out to per shell? If I were to do this, it would most likely be only target loads and I know those are fairly cheap for bulk purchase.

What are the overall advantages that you find? For me there are many in metallic reloading, but I'm not sure I see it in shotshell.

Thanks
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have old AA's that have been loaded 20+ times. Some of the old paper shells might go 2 or 3 times.

For me its that I make them to work in my gun(s).

If you don't shoot much it will not be worth your time and effort.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's what I was thinking. I shoot skeet rather infrequently, and I'm not sure if I'd even bother doing hunting loads
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you this..... with the current market price of reloading componets.....I loose money when I make shotgun shells right now.

I've been loading heavy trap loads to shoot weekly, costing me $7.33 a box)

I can buy shells that I shoot once & through away for a $1-2/box cheaper right now & I don't have to spend the time pulling a lever & making them.

Metalic, I haven't figured my costs on for a while yet.

I'ts a great hobby & since of accomplishment, just not a profitable one at the current time.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot mainly 28ga & 410ga. It still pays there. I also make my own shot so I can realy save if I don't figure the time invested.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    I'm like Longspur Rider, I load 28ga for skeet and hunting. I can load 25rds for just over $4, but for me to buy the same load out of my own store it would cost $14. It really does not pay to load for 12 or 20ga as the ammo is so cheep, but by loading it you can custom tailor your shot patterns to the need of you gun and the shooting your doing.
  • Options
    jimmcgeh@lisco.comjimmcgeh@lisco.com Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't look at just the price or availabilty now,things change.The first shot I bought in the 70's was 5.00 for 25 lbs.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload for practice trap and skeet and will use a hull until the hull no longer crimps well. I found that in my case that a bad crimp will affect the pattern and when the crimp starts to look marginal, I seperate it to use in my autoloader where I don't mind losing the hull.

For hunting and competition, I buy factory new.