In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

barrel leading part deux

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
Took some lubed and sized 357 bullets out recently. They fouled up the barrel (a Rossi stainless 6" barrel) something severe.

The bullets were sized to .357 and lubed with Alox.

I've cleaned and polished the barrel with J&B bore cleaner and polish.

Hopefully that will solve the problem.

Planning on testing again tomorrow. I'll keep you posted.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it a new, relatively unfired bbl? Stainless on the small scale tears rather than cuts.

edit polish will help but it should be ironed in by now. How hard are you pushing them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Is it a new, relatively unfired bbl? Stainlees on the small scale tears rather than cuts.

Not new. Probably has around 2000 rounds through it.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Size to as fat as will chamber. .358-9 for preference. Don't use full end mag loads. Problems should then go away.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    Size to as fat as will chamber. .358-9 for preference. Don't use full end mag loads. Problems should then go away.

sizing them to 357. Using moderate loads, not close to full power mag pressure.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Got any friend that cast a different bullet to try? +1 for larger, harder alloy (more tin and some antimony). I really like the Kieth design for revolvers.
  • Options
    demo-dandemo-dan Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got the same thing. It really seems like the fouling problems has magnified 10 fold in the last 10 years. Shooters choice works well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Only got the Lee mold which throws 357-358 and the sizing die which squeezes down to 357.

I thought the smaller bullets would be better since they wouldn't be as tight in to bore? Am I missing something?
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer
    Only got the Lee mold which throws 357-358 and the sizing die which squeezes down to 357.

I thought the smaller bullets would be better since they wouldn't be as tight in to bore? Am I missing something?

With cast bullets the EXACT opposite is true. A cast bullet .001 undersise will lead no matter how hard it is. Your bullets need to be .001-.002 over bore diameter. Get a .358 sizer die and behold the difference. A .357 mag can be ran at 1,000-1,200 FPS with out leading issues with good lube (Alox-beeswax) and wheel weight alloy as long as the bullet is the proper size.
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    quote:Originally posted by nemesisenforcer

With cast bullets the EXACT opposite is true. A cast bullet .001 undersise will lead no matter how hard it is. Your bullets need to be .001-.002 over bore diameter. Get a .358 sizer die and behold the difference. A .357 mag can be ran at 1,000-1,200 FPS with out leading issues with good lube (Alox-beeswax) and wheel weight alloy as long as the bullet is the proper size.
    see red above...issue solved...if you are running non jacketed
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I hit the bores with J&B bore cleaner/polish last night and it improved dramatically. Still some leading, but a fraction of what it was earlier.

I don't have a 358 sizer die, but I'm thinking just hit the bullets with the Alox and don't size them?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think those tumble lube lee's were not ment to be sized.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I think those tumble lube lee's were not ment to be sized.

I've heard that, but I'm paranoid that there will be one bullet out of the batch that is oversized that will foul up the barrel if I don't squeeze it down.

Also, it depends on the mold type.

The SWC seems pretty consistently 357 all around, but the 230 gr. RN ball for the 452 has a base that comes out .456 or so, so they have to be sized.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Anything out of the mold that passes a good inspection for defects will be just fine. Do not worry about an oversized bullet fouling up your bbl. I think I have 70 or so bullet molds and only one is lee (50 cal improved minie) and I and the rifle don't like it (I have had other lee molds and have no use for them). Yep .456 will need sizing to work in a 45 acp.
  • Options
    gregoryhart1gregoryhart1 Member Posts: 518 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [/quote]

I use bullets sized at .358" out of my Marlin lever at just shy of 1800 FPS with no leading. BHN is 16-18. With cast bullets, proper fit is paramount.
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Again, with cast lead, do NOT worry about it being oversized if it chambers without resistance, unless seated right against the rifling in an abrupt throat with max loads. In the example you're worried about of a .456" bullet (when .452" is nominal spec) consider this:

1. What does your bore actually measure? It might be .452, it might be .454, or really anything. Unless you slug it it's a mystery. Remember, ideally cast bullets should be sized 1-2/1000 over bore diameter.

2. Let's say it is .452 and the bullet is .456". 4/1000 of an inch oversize means that the bullet is only oversized on each side by 2/1000". In the overall scheme of things, that's VERY VERY small.

If it chambers freely with a Lee TL design, blast away.

As for charliemeyer's opinion... just shows how wide a world of experience there is out there. My Lee molds produce some of my most accurate shooting bullets.