In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Steel cased ammo

Got around to testing some 9mm steel ammo in all of my 9mm dispensers from semi to my Colt carbine. Worked flawlessly in everything and was accurate enough.

I haven't tried any of it through my AR 223s. I've seen others do it but they had problems. This was some years back and I think ammo like Wolf and Tula now have a polymer coating.

Looking for any feedback or recommendations on brands.

Comments

• Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some guns will feed it, some won't. My Colt Match HBar 16" will NOT extract this stuff at all. My others (Bushmaster 20", BCM 14.5", DPMS 16") will, no probs. Like anything; I suggest you try some before you buy a thousand rounds to make sure it runs in your gun.

I've used Tula (fair) the Brown Bear (OK) Silver Bear (a bit better), Wolf (OK) Hornady Steel match (very good) along with a myriad of brass-cased suff from Mil-Surp or PMC bronze up to Federal gold medal match with the 77 gr Sierra HPBT. The cheapo stuff goes bang, and is occasionally accurate enough to brag about.

Good luck with your quest!
  • Options
    llamallama Member Posts: 2,637 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There have been some kabooms reported in FN-FALs with the steel case ammo lately... check falfiles.com
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here is my thought: If it damages your expensive gun -- or YOU -- then how good a bargain was it?
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never run any through my 223 (it's only a single shot that I handload for) but never had any problems (save one) with Tula, Brown Bear, or Wolf in my 308 FAL, CETME or my AK or SKSs or handguns (40 and 45)

The one issue I had was a white box Tula shell that broke in my CETME chamber. It was a pain to get it removed. Since then, I've stuck to Brown Bear for it and there have been zero problems.

I hadn't heard about the FAL ka-booms with steel stuff but I've run hundreds of steel cases through mine and never had an issue.

All else being equal, it seems to me that Brown Bear is a little higher quality case that will cause the least fuss. JMO.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've only used the steel cased 9mm in an old beater Ruger P89 in which it worked fine. I sold a case(1000) to a guy taking his law enforcement training and he had numerous failure to fire and split case events. I think he was using a Taurus 99(Beretta 92 copy) of questionable heritage.