In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Win 70 question about bolts

Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
Have two post 64 win 70's. one is a 300 win mag and the other is a 30-06.

While cleaning the guns I noticed that the 300 win mag bolt will slide into the 30/06 receiver and close up ok and vice vesa, the 30 06 slides into the 300 mag and closes ok???
The bolt on the 300 mag is about 1/2 inch longer than the 30/06 and the real of the magnums two locking lugs are at about the front of the 30 06's locking lugs.

This don't seem correct, especially for the shorter 06 bolt to close up ok in the mag receiver. this seems to indicate that the locking lugs on the 300 mag bolt is not supported at the rear when in it''s chamber???

Can anyone explain why the two different length bolts will close up and function smoothly in these two receivers???

No way that Remington 700 receivers would allow their Mag and LA bolts to chamber and close up due to the support at the rear of the bolt lug cuts inside their receivers!

I'm thinking the Win 70 mag is not even safe to shoot, now that I've seen this! (the 30 06 bolt closing up in the 300 mags receiver)

The two guns are very accurate deer rifles that we have used for years

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Since no one was talking (answering) I went back and removed the bolts and measured from the front AND rear of the locking lugs to the front of the bolt handle, which is the chambering for lockup without a hull inserted and their length was same, therefore all ok. All the guns had the G series serial number.
    I need to take a engraver and add guns serial number to the bolts so as to not get them swapped! (the numbers are worn off)
    I noticed awhile back that some of the Sears Model 53 (Win 70 made by win for sears) bolts would not interchange due to different machining cuts in the Model 53 bolts.

Bottom line keep and heads up with a Win 70 rifles bolts and not get them mixed up!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okie473,

I'm glad you went out and investigated. I also have a long magnum bolt in my .308 Norma and a standard bolt in my .270 that seem to interchange. The whole thing to me was how it looked (wrong) and that I shouldn't pull the trigger with a live round in the chamber. But, that doesn't always seem to deter some people. Since I never chambered a piece of test brass in the .270 to see that it worked, maybe the length of the bolt makes it so it won't catch the sear or the longer bolt won't chamber with a piece of brass in it? I only have one with me now and not the other so I can't go and look.
  • Options
    oneoldsaponeoldsap Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You won't be able to close the 06 bolt on a 300 WM case (bigger rim) . You could probably close the Mag. bolt on an 06 , but it probably won't fire , as the case would go too far into the chamber ! Your problem is imaginary !!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oneoldsap
    You won't be able to close the 06 bolt on a 300 WM case (bigger rim) . You could probably close the Mag. bolt on an 06 , but it probably won't fire , as the case would go too far into the chamber ! Your problem is imaginary !!

I was not asking about firing a round! I noticed that these two Model 70 winchester bolts (300 mag and a 30-06) would easily swap into the receivers of these two guns and the bolts did not have any ID serial numbers on them and I've seen etched ID numbers on bolts in the past, especially on Remington 700's and I then notcied that these two bolts don't have any ID numbers! I need to go thru all our bolt action rifles and etch ID numbers on the ones that are not ID'ed.
    I'll really keep a heads up in the future when cleaning bolt action guns and make sure the bolts are ID'ed, especially when several are in process of being cleaned and in the same vicinity of each other!

Respectifully;
    Also when I stated that the bolts will interchange easily from receiver to receiver in these two guns is a fact, not imaginary!
  • Options
    Alan RushingAlan Rushing Member Posts: 9,002 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting situation and questions.

Near enough to a situation or several that I have at present. [:(]
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's a lot of dangerous interchangeability out there. Several years ago I noticed, when cleaning Ruger Blackhawks, that the cylinders of .30 Carbine and .44 magnum will interchange!!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    There's a lot of dangerous interchangeability out there. Several years ago I noticed, when cleaning Ruger Blackhawks, that the cylinders of .30 Carbine and .44 magnum will interchange!!!

Yes, there's a lot of dangerous interchangeability out there, but still not as dangerous as being without any guns, especially nowdays!

NRA Member