In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hate It When I Do That

I use a .358, 125 gr. LRN mold for both 38 Spc & 9MM. I just run it through eithor a .358 or .356 sizing die. I shoot them for practice and fun. I started loading 9MM and after about 250 rds I noticed that I had grabbed the container of .358 sized cast bullets! Hate it when I do that!!! They would probably shoot OK but might push up the pressures a bit.

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as they chamber freely, they will do just fine.
    Might surprise you; many 9mm barrels are larger than .355" groove diameter anyhow.
  • The Old SaltThe Old Salt Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now u got me thinking! Maybe I'll slug the bore and see what the REAL dia is. I once read that the Ruger ranch rifle has a long throated barrel so both the .308 & .310 rnds coul.d be used. Sounds like you are suggesting that mfgs actually produce barrels a little oversize. Slugging my Ruger & Sig will tell the story and save me the pain of pulling 250 rnds apart + all the relaoding.
  • Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,137 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might also save you the trouble of sizing to two diameters.

If they chamber freely, shoot 'em. If they shoot fine, you have your answer.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
    edited November -1
    Slugged the barrel. Largest measurement was .357. Rounds chambered OK. They will only have to squeese down .001. So now it's off to the range to see how they shoot. I my best 5 shot group @ 7 yrds was all in the 10 ring with the .356 bullets. Not bad for an old guy with bi-focals who can't see the sights any more.
  • yonsonyonson Member Posts: 892 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't you just love having to choose between seeing the sights or seeing the target?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cast bullets SHOULD be .001 over bore diameter to reduce leading and produce max accuracy.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Here's hoping your Ruger Ranch Rifle (Mini 30?) is in 7.62X39 instead of the usual .223Rem.; those other bullets won't fit otherwise.
    edited November -1
    Well I finally got to the range. The .358 cast lead bullets shot OK in both 9MM pistols. Without input from kindly folks here I would have never thought it was OK. Now I can use my .358 size die for both my 9MM & .357 loads. Now I have a .355 size die that I don't need! I guess that's not the worst thing to happen to me in my shooting avdentures.