In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Want to reload some. 45LCs-first time

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
Ive got all the new materials needed to load up 200 .45LCs with Hornady hollow points. All Im missing is the primers. Anyway, this stuff has been sitting around here for quite a while and Im thinking about putting it to use soon.

It is new brass for my first go at it. Anything I should be aware of? What scales does everybody use? Thats the only part Im afraid of. Putting too much powder in one. I have a Hornady auto drop. Can it be trusted?

After they are fired for the first time, will the cases need to be trimmed? Im guessing no? Again it is new brass.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you have a good reloading book, 2 is better. Make sure you the correct data for your gun. Hot loads for a ruger or tc could/will damage a older s&w and mostly will take apart an old colt. You should champher the new cases, wouldn't hurt to fl size and trim them to uniform length first. I would also flash hole uniform them too. Make sure your scale zeros and check your load at least every 10. I always use a loading block an do a visual check before setting the bullets on the case. You are the quality control guy
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I use a old Lyman 10-10 and a Lee sometimes. Since I bought a Lyman 1200DPSII, I use it's electronic most of the time.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee magnetic scale, if calibrated regularly, is simple and trustworthy.

When in doubt, go with lower end loads.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a digital scale. (I got mine from Midway) You'll be amazed how far off your reading of balance scales can be when compared to a digital.

.45C is easy to load, the cases and bullets are big so you're not squinting to do stuff (like a .32). There are tons of shooting materials and load data for a variety of bullet/powder combinations out there for you to check out as well.

Read up, take your time, and you'll be hooked.