In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.8 sub-sonic

62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
I saw an ad the other day for 6.8 SPC sub-sonic loads. It got me thinking about the possibilities - they were listing a 110 grain V-max at 1040 fps - why not use a heavier bullet? Would it be reasonable to run a 130 to 150 grain slug at those velocities? I expect accuracy may suffer with the 8.5" twist in my barrel, but not as much as the 10" that some others have. Any idea where I could get reliable starting data?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pressure wise it should be ok, bullet rpm wise maybe not so good with the heavier bullets.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    I saw an ad the other day for 6.8 SPC sub-sonic loads. It got me thinking about the possibilities - they were listing a 110 grain V-max at 1040 fps - why not use a heavier bullet? Would it be reasonable to run a 130 to 150 grain slug at those velocities? I expect accuracy may suffer with the 8.5" twist in my barrel, but not as much as the 10" that some others have. Any idea where I could get reliable starting data?
    Thanks

I agree, heavier bullets would be much more useable going subsonic than the lighter bullets. With your 8.5" twist you could stabilize the heaviest of the .277" dia. bullets. The only thing you have to watch out for is stuffing too much bullet in the case and getting an unsafe condition. Just make sure the ogive isn't below the case mouth. You can go all the way up to 190 and 200 with Matrix bullets.

-good luck
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well this is no use to you but on the bright side some what is SSA is now loading 140 gr. Berger VLD bullets in some of their 6.8 ammo. Problem for you is it's leaving the barrel at 2,400 FPS. Still has 500 foot lbs. of energy at 800 yards. The other problem is your supposed to use the PRI mags. They maybe a scootch longer. Well at least their starting to go with heavier bullets.