In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thanks bpost

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
Got your bullets in the mail today. Thanks a bunch.

Function tested a couple dozen today.

Not getting nearly the leading I was, but there's still some build up at the throat, but this could be because I didn't clean it thoroughly enough.

I'll keep you posted

Comments

• bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are STILL leading I would try another barrel in your gun, if possible. Barrels can be a problem if they are too tight in the chamber-throat area, causing leading that will drive you bonkers.

I have shot some of those same bullets, the same batch as the ones I sent you with over 10 grains of Blue Dot, a book max load in my G21 cut rifling barrel with zero leading.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    If you are STILL leading I would try another barrel in your gun, if possible. Barrels can be a problem if they are too tight in the chamber-throat area, causing leading that will drive you bonkers.

I have shot some of those same bullets, the same batch as the ones I sent you with over 10 grains of Blue Dot, a book max load in my G21 cut rifling barrel with zero leading.

I can't afford a new barrel, but if you want to send me one of those too, you've got my address[:p]

I don't know that it's leading so much as residue with some powder, lube, and lead wash build up.

Maybe I just have high standards and am calling it something's it's not[?]
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leading is a different animal from dirt and grime. If you shoot bullseye powder better known as flammable dirt your bore will look like it was used for a coal stove pipe.

To determine it you are getting lead use Hoppes #9 to remove the powder fouling with just cotton patches. Do not use a brush, dry the bore after cleaning and hold it up to a strong light. Lead will appear as streaks and lumps, quite obvious on the surface of the barrel steel.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When breaking my S&W 29 I could pull strips of lead using Shooter's Choice and a tight patch. Now I can run 500 rounds and see no lead.