In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is lube king?

nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
I've been thinking a lot lately about the most important ingredient in the casting process and thought I'd share my analysis with you.

It seems to this novice that lube, not alloy or size, is the most important ingredient in the equation.

I came to this conclusion while thinking about the lowly 22 long rifle.

Think about it: how many 22s have you shot in your life and how bad has the leading been after hundreds or even thousands of rounds? Have many different brands of ammo and in how many different firearms have you fired them? If you're anything like me, the answers would lead to scores, if not hundreds, of different combinations.

Is it possible that each and every 22 lead bullet was held to exacting tolerances in dimension and hardness, perfectly matched to each and every bore? Of course not. I would bet there are WIDE variations between (and even within) manufacturers, brands, and particular batches. but given that, how bad do your barrels lead?

So then, what is the magic ingredient that keeps on performing box after box, without cleaning, and putting lead downrange, on target, and a smile on your face?

The only answer can be "lube." That is the only variable that could makes any sense given the inevitable variances in size and alloy composition. Lube is what makes those variables tolerable and prevents problems.

Lube is king.

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Nice theory... but a lot of .22 bullets are unlubed. .22s don't lead because pressure and gas volume isn't enough to blow by the sides and gas cut the lead.

Don't get me wrong, lube IS indeed a critical component. What some folks swear by, others swear at.

I would agree that alloy is overrated. For the guns you've been shooting, anything other than dead soft lead should suffice. If you don't think bullet size (diameter) is that important though... well I could show you some groups from my .303 british with .308" bullets vs. .314" bullets that would beg to differ. Similarly, try shooting a .355" 9mm bullet down a .361" .38 smith and wesson bore and see how far you get.

It's how it all fits together that's key.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For me every gun has what it likes. It was a sad day when I filled up the sizer luber with the last of the "Stu" lube. It was a home made concoction of black graphite, STP, beeswax, perhaps alox, vasolene and other lost additives, so I returned to 50/50 alox/beeswax. I don't the hard lubes like rooster red, they look nice on the bullets but don't work for me.

Having lots of bullet sizing dies is helpful.

Generally I like the design by Loverin for rifle and Keith for pistol.

Plus the 22's seal via minnie ball, hollow base skirt.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007

Plus the 22's seal via minnie ball, hollow base skirt.

I'm not saying there aren't any hollow based .22s out there, but one or two I've pulled were essentially flat based heeled bullets. IOW, it looks like a little step.

OTOH, some 45/70 ammo (for instance) does utilize a hollow base bullet, and while pressure does help the base expand and seal, no lube or poor lube choice still equals leading if the projectile is undersized, whereas proper lube and bullet fit still doesn't lead out of my trapdoor or handi rifle if lube is present and bullet fit is 1/1000" over bore diameter.

A hollow base though, in principle, will indeed also up the fudge factor permitting a slightly undersized bullet (ala minie ball as you suggest).