In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm a dumb SOB!

instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I found out all of the reasons for the heartache I've been having with my 5.56 loads and my ar's.

I run two presses, a Rock Chucker and a Hornady progressive. I must have set the lock ring on the sizing die while it was on my Hornady, because when I resized the brass months ago on the RCBS, I apparently didn't have the right clearance set up for that press.

There lies the heart of all my chambering woes!. I headspaced, trimmed, measured chambers, and just about anything else I could fit the damn calipers on. Finally after running into the same problem I just tried to chamber empty brass and had the same "sticking" issues. Run those through the sizer again, after readjustment and good as new.

Off to the range with 10 of the rounds this afternoon for testing.

Gods I feel stupid!

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,202 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ahhh, the old "two press" trick, eh?

Trust me, you are not the first reloader to forget that the window openings on presses vary - and hence the need to re-adjust die settings.

Tip #1: put a note in the die box saying which press these dies are set for.

Tip #2: Take a reading from the top of the die to the lock ring using the depth step on your calipers. Write down that measurement as adjusted for each press. Then, if you want to load on either press, you can pre-set the die to the correct setting - or be very close.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    rifle head space, always seems to be a problem. We have all done something like that (I'm sure I've done it more then once).

Try getting a head space gage. It has eliminated many issues for me over the years.

Good luck
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I think it's more a head thickness difference than a window size difference. You can count the thread turn diference and mark it down. I did this with a Lyman All American and a Lee.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As much as I hate to admit it....I have done the same thing.[:I]
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the feedback guys, feeling less of a bonehead[:o)]