In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm Luger/ 115 Gr RN/ Alliant 2400 Powder?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
Anyone have a recipe for 9mm Luger, 115 Gr RN Plated Bullet using Alliant 2400 Powder? I have a bunch of this stuff (2400) that I'm trying to use up to get rid of. So I'm seeing if it can be used in all of my pistol calibers.

Someone told me that 2400 and Power Pistol have about the same type of recipes. I just don't want to chance it using the "WAG" method. (Wild-*-Guess)

Thanks Again!

Mike

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    2400 is WTDS (way too damn slow) for 9mm. You will get a lot of unburned powder in that small shell. Go with a powder faster, like Unique or even faster.
    Like we said in your other post, trade it for a faster powder [;)]
    There are a lot of pistol hunters that use it in 357+44mags.
  • Options
    hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info! That's pretty much what I thought the response would be. Just thought that I'd ask.

I have plenty of other faster powder like Bullseye, Unique and Power Pistol - So it will be one of them.

Well as far as the 2400 goes - It's kept for over 30 years in these 1 lb tins. I'm certain that it will probably last another 30 - LOL?!?!

Thanks again - I appreciate the feedback.

Mike

quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    2400 is WTDS (way too damn slow) for 9mm. You will get a lot of unburned powder in that small shell. Go with a powder faster, like Unique or even faster.
    Like we said in your other post, trade it for a faster powder [;)]
    There are a lot of pistol hunters that use it in 357+44mags.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike you need 2 loading books to check yourself with. 2400 works best in magnum or perhaps small rifle like 22 hornet or a 410 shotgun. Buy a can of Bullseye its less two cent a round for 38's, 9mm, 45acp.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Bullseye is a fine choice for 9mm and is all I use for most pistols both for economy and in most cases, accuracy. Red Dot is another overlooked good choice.

2400 about peters out for the .38 special. Even there, heavy bullets and a firm crimp are a must to get even ok ignition, and it's still dirty.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    2400 works very well in .30 carbine for me.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    Like everyone has said, 2400 is way to slow. I am using Unique or 231, they both work great!