In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

"Tarnished Brass?"

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I'm a real stickler for clean brass. However, I may have messed some up. I had about 250 9mm and 38 Special cases to clean in the case vibrator. The media was probably near the end of its life cycle. I added some brass polish - as I have done many times before. I let it "mix" in the vibrator for well over 1/2 hour before I added the brass. I dumped the cases in and let it run a good 4 or 5 hours. When I was sorting the cases they came out with what I thought at first was corrosion - particularly the 38's. What it was appeared to be a thin layer of caked-on brass polish. I could scrape it off with my finger nail but it would have taken me days to do it. I changed the media in the vibrator - with no brass polish added - and let rhe machine run for a good 6 hours. It helped a bit - but not a lot. My question is if I relaod these cases as they are ("tarnished") will there be any adverse effects on the pistols, particularly the chamber? Or, should I just toss them and use other cases? I put a lot of "prep" work and time into these cases and I'd like to be able to use them if I could. Any feedback or suggestions to correct the problem would be appreciated.)

Regards,

Mike

Ps

I'd appreciate it if you could avoid telling me I'm an idiot etc. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stickler myself- Ultrasonic case cleaner would be handy in your situation. 30min dunk would blast all that stuff off inside and out, then tumble with new media.

Affects- most will say no. Myself, I don't like unnecessary debris in my chamber. Internal or external.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Put cases in boiling hot water add some Dawn or Tide, let soak, stir. Rince with hot tap water, toss on some newspaper let dry for a day in the sun. Retumble to your desired finish.

Carbide dies will burnish it off. I prefer not to have light duty grinding compound in my dies or guns.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a good excuse for buying a ultrasonic cleaner! The ultrasonic is also good for cleaning the inside and primer pockets of your cases.
    I also use a ultrasonic and run my lubed brass through it to remove the grease and gunk before sending the brass to the tumbler/vibrator.
    It (removing the grease and gunk) will extend the life of your brass. I had the same issue as you with the brass polish sometime back and no longer use the additive.
    I use Lyman tuffnut that has the red rouge for first run if the brass is tarnished and it might polish your corrosion off because its more agressive than most media when polishing, but case lubes will shorten it's life rapidly, (why ultrasonic or hot water is needed first), then if I want a higher polish I make a run with green corncob.
    Both of these medias will have to be picked out of the primer pockets if the primers are removed before polishing. I usually leave the spent primers installed when doing the first run in the tuffnut With rouge so as it don't clog the primer pocket holes, but make sure the inside of the case is cleared before sending to the die.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Another good reason to buy a tumbler and use stainless steel media.........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Gosh, I didn' even know that there was stainless steel media. Any idea where I can get it and how much does it cost?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Guys,

I really appreciate all of these great suggestions and I appreciate it greatly.

I do have a question for all of you though. It seems that there are quite a few suggestions for the ultrsonic cleaners. I had one - the first Hornady model that came out. I sent it back because (And this may have be the wrond thing to do - but I thought that I read the instructions correctly - is that when they are done in tultrasonic cleaner you wash to residue off with water. They problem I had was that I couldn't get all of the moister out of them and the brass starte to corrode. If you could inform me the of the ways that have been working for you I may give it another try. Thanks Again! You've all been a great help!

Best Regards,

Mike

quote:Originally posted by hermiem
    I'm a real stickler for clean brass. However, I may have messed some up. I had about 250 9mm and 38 Special cases to clean in the case vibrator. The media was probably near the end of its life cycle. I added some brass polish - as I have done many times before. I let it "mix" in the vibrator for well over 1/2 hour before I added the brass. I dumped the cases in and let it run a good 4 or 5 hours. When I was sorting the cases they came out with what I thought at first was corrosion - particularly the 38's. What it was appeared to be a thin layer of caked-on brass polish. I could scrape it off with my finger nail but it would have taken me days to do it. I changed the media in the vibrator - with no brass polish added - and let rhe machine run for a good 6 hours. It helped a bit - but not a lot. My question is if I relaod these cases as they are ("tarnished") will there be any adverse effects on the pistols, particularly the chamber? Or, should I just toss them and use other cases? I put a lot of "prep" work and time into these cases and I'd like to be able to use them if I could. Any feedback or suggestions to correct the problem would be appreciated.)

Regards,

Mike

Ps

I'd appreciate it if you could avoid telling me I'm an idiot etc. Thanks
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wrote a review for this one- It's on the pricy side, but I also use it for other things as well. This tank compares for the money to a high end Branson in the same class at -4x the cost.

In technical terms, this particular Lyman model has only 2 transducers instead of 3 that is on my Branson Lab. Grade ultrasonic. If you want to know what that means to you for general use? Nothing... Very High end for under $300

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/118839/lyman-turbo-sonic-6000-ultrasonic-case-cleaner-110-volt
  • Options
    midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    to absorb moisture, tumble in walnut media. obviously you wanna get them mostly dry beforehand. the crushed walnut shells works similar to sawdust and will absorb the moisture. at first it will stick to the cases and then it will polish itself back off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This was the best suggestion that I've gotten. It worked GREAT!!! Thanks bunches!

quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Put cases in boiling hot water add some Dawn or Tide, let soak, stir. Rince with hot tap water, toss on some newspaper let dry for a day in the sun. Retumble to your desired finish.

Carbide dies will burnish it off. I prefer not to have light duty grinding compound in my dies or guns.
  • Options
    1935Lee1935Lee Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been drying wet brass on a cookie pan in a warm oven for many years.
    not a good idea to try and dry brass with live primers[:I]
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Another good reason to buy a tumbler and use stainless steel media.........

+1.....only way to go. I use real bp in both of my Sharps and the tumbler/pin combo is the best way to go, and in the long run, probably the most economical.
  • Options
    llama girlllama girl Member Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a product called Oomph by STP. It cleans off RCBS case lube. This I have used RCBS case lube(looks like clear snot) not the spray on stuff for over 25 years. This Oompf stuff cleans off the case lube stuff and shines up nice if not left on too long. It will make a green corrotion type stain if not rinsed off complety. Lots of rinsing and Qtips for primer pockets. I put mine on wood stove, but works well as hot sunlight. But you have to clean the primer pockets with a brush. It is not a shine like a a tumbler but is not bad.
    I do not shill for this product. Husband brought it home from for Autozone, I don't shill for them either. I don't use home made snot. I wonder if that works as well as store bought stuff................