In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

pierced primer

My first pierced primer.30:06 Lake City 52 cartridge.I didn't know it until I looked at the primer after ejecting the case.The rifle I am using is an old Remington made enfield.any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could be any of a variety of causes: excessive firing pin protrusion, weak primer shell due to age and/or corrosive composition, pressure. I'm assuming that you have fired this rifle with other loads with no trouble.
  • Options
    jimmcgeh@lisco.comjimmcgeh@lisco.com Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have fired several cartridges with this rifle.There is no sign of anything or damage to the bolt face
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It happens, primer brass can get brittle over time, a small burr on the pin can cause that too. I would not worry about it unless it starts to happen and you have difficulty lifting the bolt.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not all that odd for 60 year old ammo. Good gas handling in the rifle if you didn't know the primer failed until later. Use a hand lens to closely inspect a few of the spent brass's primers. You should see a round bottom vs a cone depression.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had this happen with one VZ24 8mm Mauser shooting some post war surplus ammo. Only seemed to happen when using that specific ammo but not reloads using CCI#34 primers or current production European factory ammo.
    I slightly shortened and rounded the tip of the firing pin. Further testing failed to show any pierced primers but still plenty of protrusion for proper firing of all types of ammo I have available.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firing pin protrusion should be about .061.
    If firing pin protrusion is ok and If primers are very flattened, pressure is too high.
    A too light striker spring could also be at fault if the above is OK.
  • Options
    machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Back in the '60's, I had a lot of DEN 43 '06 that was overpressure, which resulted in pierced primers. It was also fired in a 1917 Enfield. I religiously cleaned the bore for several days afterwards, because the ammo was corrosive-primed, but I neglected to clean the inside of the bolt. Because the primers were perforating, the gas blew back into the bolt, and when I finally did disassemble the bolt, it was a mass of red rust.
  • Options
    the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    It happens. Its no big deal unless in happens a lot. Ive had it happen even with my 300 RUM, with both factory and my hand loads. Not many, but a few. Didnt even know till I inspected the brass to get ready to reload it.

It does seem to happen a lot more with old surplus also. I have a bunch of old 8mm Mauser and 30/06 lake city that sometimes come out with a pierced primer. Never had any damage done to the rifles. Testament to good design.