In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Purchase .45 ACP Target Pistol?

hermiemhermiem Member Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
I'm starting to get into some competition shooting of large bore pistols. I have a .45 ACP Colt Commander that I've placed competiton sights on and have upgraded some of the springs, bushing etc. However, at 25 yards it just doesn't cut it. (Hard to believe that the little bit of barrel taken off of the standard model can affect accuracy.) My question is does anyone have any suggestions for a good competition .45 ACP (Govt Style) pistol that isn't going to break my bank account? I'd like to purchase it new if possible.

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Look at the Springfield Armory Range Officer or Trophy Match and the Kimber Gold Match II
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are talking about NRA Bullseye then I suggest you contact PERRY SHOOTER for advice. From my experience a wadcutter gun, built for accuracy is the ONLY way to go. Shooting a pistol that is simply not up to the task at hand will only frustrate you to no end.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 1957 National Match (Gold Cup) Colt and it shoots a good deal better than I do. The accuracy difference may not be so much the length of the tube, but the sight radius. I have seen shooters with the front sight blade mounted on a small extension rib that sticks out an inch or two beyond the muzzle to add radius, it has to do with the amount of aiming error between the short radius and long radius sighting plane. Most of the quality builders will produce a pistol that will give you excellent service. The Springfield and Kimber models mentioned are very fine pistols. Good luck and practice, practice, practice.
  • Layne12gunLayne12gun Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow I have a Colt Combat Commander and it shoots like a dream. I would suggest you sent it to Wayne Novak in Parkersberg West Va. Novak's .45 shop.. He does a fantastic job and can giv you anything you want.. the Commander is well worth spending the money on and Im sure he can get it running like you need it to.. He has sone several guns for me.. www.Novaks45shop.com
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for talk to PerryShooter. I have my dads rat grade military 45 that I shot many thousands of rounds and never hit squat. After several years with good wheel guns and tons of shooting I can now do ok with that old Colt. It is way faster to learn to shoot a handgun if it will shoot exactly where you point it every time.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the kind words Guys .HERMIEM feel free to double click on my USERNAME and send me a personal EMAIL. For many years I bought 1911 Type NRA BULLSEYE pistols from shooters that were retiring I then sold them to New shooters in my state And then even sold one to a FAT old guy that moved to one of the lower 48. "YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE" WE do need to know WHAT type of Competition you plan to shoot . NRA Bulls-EYE pistols MUST be Capable of 3&1/2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards. VERY FEW production guns will do this except maybe Les Bare or Rock River . HeY [FAT GUY I mean BRUCE. This skinny old man was like a blind hog at least once today Found I had shot a 197 with 10 X Timed fire match with 45 at State championship this afternoon .
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    Thanks for the kind words Guys .HERMIEM feel free to double click on my USERNAME and send me a personal EMAIL. For many years I bought 1911 Type NRA BULLSEYE pistols from shooters that were retiring I then sold them to New shooters in my state And then even sold one to a FAT old guy that moved to one of the lower 48. "YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE" WE do need to know WHAT type of Competition you plan to shoot . NRA Bulls-EYE pistols MUST be Capable of 3&1/2 inch 10 shot groups at 50 yards. VERY FEW production guns will do this except maybe Les Bare or Rock River . HeY [FAT GUY I mean BRUCE. This skinny old man was like a blind hog at least once today Found I had shot a 197 with 10 X Timed fire match with 45 at State championship this afternoon .

HEY KARL, that is FANTASTIC!!!! I guess the wobble wiggled at the right time for it to shoot tens!!!

Hermiem, please follow PERRY SHOOTER's advice, he WILL NOT steer you wrong. I have a MADORE built series 80 Colt 1911 with the ability to shoot 1-1/2 inch ten shot groups at 50 yards; it is what your gun needs to be able to do. It also has the series 80 parts modified so they do not impact the trigger, the plunger is depressed by the addition of a tab on the back of a part in the grip safety. For around 1,000-1,200 you should be able to get a good used wad gun and then the fun really begins!!!! [:D]
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    OR, you can purchase an inexpensive Witness or Witness Elite and shoot till the cows come home.
    If you're just starting out; most guns in your discipline will shoot better than you will.
    I've seen pistols from modern 'smiths that look like they belong on Battlestar Galactica, with side shields, skater tape, extra beefy grips, weird-looking sights, and protruding mags that cost a grand or more just to handle; now you get into the unique and expensive holsters used to tote these things, and you're well into the thousands of dollars for something that is only good for competition or trading up for another comp gun.