In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fireforming .270 AI ...

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
I am very excited as I am expecting delivery of my .270 AI (my very first and only wildcat - noob [:p]) any day now and was wondering if you guys can share your experiences. I will be taking advantage of the 165/175 Matrix VLD bullets off 3-gr, 1:8, 30" barrel from Lilja.

My plan was to use .270 Win Winchester brass with close to max loads from .270 win data and refine it for .270 AI once fireformed.

Please advise if there's a better way (not interested on saving powder method [}:)]) or better brass to use. Also, if you have a preferred dies.

Thank you in advance for your patience, support, and understanding.

V/R

Ed

Comments

• Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any standard load will fireform it 100%. The non-bullet method is 15 grains of 2400, cornmeal filler and a paper wad.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Win SuperSpeed brass (200 would be good). I wouldn't use my good bullets for fire forming. I'd champher the new brass lightly then after firing I'd give them the full treatment. Not sure you got a lot of choices in die makes. I'd also give some thought about breaking in that new bbl. JB bore paste comes to mind. When you find the load the rifle likes buy a 1000 of the bullets, primers and enough powder. Have fun, keep good notes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    If using a press I prefer Redding dies, but for my super-accurates I use LE Wilson stand alone dies. I use WW brass if available in the cartridge that I'm using (almost all of them) so that I'll get uniform responses to various pressures. For the 6.5x54 I use Norma, and the 375 RUM is R-P, but I'd use Federal or WW if it was mfg'd.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FEENIX,

quote:I will be taking advantage of the 165/175 Matrix VLD bullets off 3-gr, 1:8, 30" barrel from Lilja.

'3-gr,'

What's this?

What is the purpose of the long barrel and what use do you envision for this system?

First, Lilja barrels don't need lapping since they are button barrels which are lapped before Dan ships them. Any more is a waste of time, energy and money.

Brass can be a matter of personal preference and the uses necessary for the shooter/reloader. 'Necessary' can be the descriptor most of us pay attention to when choosing brass.

Winchester and Remington brands of brass have achieved a new low where quality is concerned, being that they are inconsistent in dimension and weight per case. For hunting or general plinking it's fine unless you want to go through the accuracy package of sorting, prepping and neck turning to get the best you can.

Federal is soft and unsuited for use with Ackley cases unless you choose to use them with standard loads but why have the Ackley then?

The best bargain for decent brass is probably Prvi Partizan:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/12633

Then next best would be Hornady:

http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/7069

We got 100,000 cases last month from Hornady and the consistency was excellent.

The best brass is now overpriced and harder to get because of the failure of old line American companies (Win/Rem) to try to maintain quality or God forbid, improve the standards they use now.

Norma, Lapua and RWS are the top-of-line for brass in all categories. The problem is affording to shoot them, just like premium bullets. Twenty cases might be enough for what you need so the cost will be negligible. But if you want 500 pieces, hold on to your hat! Most of these cases cost $1.00/each and go up from there depending on demand and copper prices. The .270 Win. from Norma can be had for about $0.84/each from Huntington's. RWS is $37.00/20 from the same source.

Hopefully you resolved the dies issue before ordering the rifle. I make my own dies so I don't have to wait for custom dies from some supplier.

Redding makes a set:

http://www.gunstop.com/Store/Reloading%20Dies/Redding/RED80425

You can call Dave Kiff at Pacific Tool and Gauge to get a reamer and dies blanks for your gunsmith to use when making a custom set for you. Die blanks are also available through other suppliers as well.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nononsense,

As always, I appreciate your candor and input.

It's a 3-groove! When I spoke to Marshal Ambrose of Matrix Ballistics he said 1:9 "might" stabilize the 165 and 175 gr VLDs but highly recommend the 1:8 for the 175.

When I consulted with Dan Lilja, he said he only build the 1:8 twist in groove configuration.

The rifle is going to be primarily long range hunting (distance intentionally unspecified for a different discussion) on various games within my limitations and occasional target shooting.

Excellent insight on the brass and dies. I have plenty of time for the dies and I'm in no hurry as I have other things going on as well.

Thanks again.

Ed
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1