In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reload 7x57 UMC brass??

JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
I have some UMC 7x57 brass that I beleive is once fired, I will of course check to determine this as best I can. Has anyone reloaded UMC?? is it decent enough for a 19" barreled mauser hunting rifle I had thrown together?? This isn't a match grade rig,..so as long as I can get maybe 3/4moa out of it, I will run it that way.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JustC,

The factory is Union Metallic Cartridge Corp. located in Lanoke, AR. There is nothing wrong with UMC brass, think Winchester White Box as a comparison. It's not the greatest when compared to Lapua but it doesn't cost anywhere near as much either.

Check your chamber and headspace before loading anything. Measure several cases after having been fired in the chamber.

You might try Re-17 or V V N-550 with the 140-150 class bullets.

Best.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    SECTION ONE OF THE CASES AND COMPARE TO A WW OR RP BRASS. THE OLDER UMC USED A VERY THIN BASE SECTION (PRE WW2) AND HEAD SEPARATION IS NOT FUN.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will have to use a number 2 RCBS shell holder. The number 3 will not work with that brass. I would anneal the necks before reloading. They may not have been annealed originally.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's some of the old stuff, don't do it. I reloaded some, years ago, that had apparently been intended for Pancho Villa! It was in flimsy cardboard boxes with a redish label that, IIRC, mentioned machine guns. I learned later that the stuff had mecuric primers and the mecury reacted with the brass. I don't recall anything letting go but the cases looked freaky after I reloaded and fired them. I tossed the brass.