In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm Int. Rimmed

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
Anybody have experience with one. I just picked up a t/c contender in this with dies & brass

Comments

• wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

I have not with that particular one. However, some folks over on handgunhunter's site do. Might check there if you do not get response here.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike,

It amounts to a slight variation of the 7-30 Waters. Different neck angle and less taper. I believe the 7mm Int. came first though. In any case starting loads for the 7-30 is a good starting point.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "It amounts to a slight variation of the 7-30 Waters.".........this 'looks like' a 7x30w with the shoulder pushed back about 1/4".........lots more neck, much less case capacity but a sharper shoulder. I did get some loading data with it
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MIKE WISKEY
    "It amounts to a slight variation of the 7-30 Waters.".........this 'looks like' a 7x30w with the shoulder pushed back about 1/4".........lots more neck, much less case capacity but a sharper shoulder. I did get some loading data with it

Mike,

The 7mm International that I know does not have the case shoulder pushed that far back. It did have a slightly longer neck than the 7-30 Waters but not by as much as you noted. And, capacity was about the same. I wonder why this one appears short chambered? In retrospect I did not have them side by side to compare though.

If that is the case, then I would start with a fast powder and work from 4-5 gr. below starting loads in a 7-30 Waters to work up to a safe load. The reduced case capacity might well give too hot of a load with starting 7-30 Waters loads. It's a small case but never-the-less, using a faster powder, i.e. AA2015, H4198 will prevent flash-over if you go too light with a load.

In any case, you've got good starting loads to work up from. Let us know how it works out.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    "It did have a slightly longer neck than the 7-30 Waters but not by as much as you noted."
    it just 'looks like' a longer neck because of the sharper shoulder[:D], some preliminary loads show promise. shown with a .30/30 for comparision. range 110 yards
    cont.jpg
    edited November -1
    That does look pretty promising! I've been telling myself for years to get either that or the 7-30, but I've decided as I don't like the hand recoil all that much I'll stick with the slower 7mm-TCU. {which is pretty stiff recoil for my hands anyhow}[;)][:D]