In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What should I expect from an electronic scale

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
I'm on my 3rd scale right now and have yet to try reloading. I'm planning on doing some soon.

My first scale that I used for other things was just a $20 pocket scale that worked well for a couple years but has went bad now. It reads off and can't be re-calibrated.

Then I bought an Ohaus off ebay for around $80 and I couldn't get it to do anything. I followed the instructions and it would just read wild numbers. So I sent that one back.

Now I have a Lyman 1000 XP. I read the bad reviews after it was shipped. So far I can't say I'm totally disappointed. I understand accuracy within 1/10th of a grain is very sensitive. And that a 1 grain test weight may weigh out at 0.9 or 1.1 grain.

I am using the cover to keep drafts off of it. So far what I've noticed with this scale is that it is at near perfect accuracy in the moments after you calibrate and zero it. But if you leave a weight sit on it, the number starts creeping down until it's off by 0.3, 0.4 and sometimes 0.5 of a grain.

If I continue to use it without zeroing or recalibrating, it will tend to read 0.3 to 0.4 grains shy of what it's supposed to be weighing with known weights. If I take the weights off, it's not zero's any longer and it reads -0.4 or -0.5 of a grain on the screen and you have to hit zero again. This happens after a relatively short amount of time.

Is this an acceptable scale for reloading or should I send it back? I'm just wondering what you guys expect from a scale and if this is as good as it gets.

If I know it reads low I can adjust. If I want 15 grains, I'll adjust the powder dump to 14.5. I'm just wondering if it could get worse over time.

Comments

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,216 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Run a test that actually simulates reloading.

Allow it to warm up, calibrate it and then put a known weight on it (even a match bullet is good enough). Write down the result and take the weight off. Wait 20 seconds or so to simulate dumping a powder charge and then put the weight back on. Record the result.

Repeat the wait and weigh cycle 20 or more times. If the scale is still reading the same as when you started the series, it's good to go. If it drifts - and especially if the drift increases - I wouldn't trust that scale.

If you want a great scale that is made mostly in the US, by shooters, for shooters, check out the scale sold by Berry's Mfg.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14859-c107-g8-b0-p0-ACC_2000_Digital_Scale.aspx
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Rocky said, let it warm up and stabilize. My RCBS Charge master gets finicky if it is not at ambient room temp or on a stable surface. All thou not necessary, I check/recalibrate about every 100 rnds. If I am loading a lot.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I backtrack to some previously weighed cases every once in awhile as a heads up if drift has occurred and also re-weigh the same charge drop two or three times too see if reading are stable so as to build up trush in a scale repeating itself!

I also have a little $35 cheapo scale that I bought from Midway few years back that has always been very stable, but it's used and stored in a controlled temp enviroment at approx 68-75 degrees F.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Don't have a Lyman or Midway; I have a PACT (for interchangeability with my chronograph[:D]).
    Had it for many years, keep it on the countertop next to the bench, have a Tupperware cover for it, and it sits on top of a cinderblock.
    The cinderblock has a hole to store my check weights, an extra 9V battery, and extra weighing pan.
    I found out that the least puff of wind will cause a recalibration.
    I found out that the Bluetooth on a cellphone will cause a recalibration.
    These things run off a pressure/strain gauge that is VERY sensitive.
    Once the unit has been jostled, bumped, moved or walked nearby; it requires a rest and recal.
    Sort of a pain, but it continues to be the most reliable scale I have.

It is faster than the 10-10 scale, built sturdier than the Lee Safety Scale (?), and is my go-to when I'm getting ready for a match.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can expect and should get .1+- accuracy and repeatability; if not, document it well and send it back for a refund. Scales are too important in reloading to fiddle with. FWIW my RCBS 1500 combo has worked well for several years.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think you meant 0.1 grain, not .01, right?

Indeed I did, thank you!
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,711 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm using a Mack jewelery scale that is accurate to .02 grains and haven't had any trouble with it.
    This one,
    http://www.amazon.com/Jennings-Compact-Digital-Jewelry-Scale/dp/B003ORNIJG
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well, one could use a million-dollar NASA scale that will weigh a molecule - and it wouldn't result in better handloads or more accuracy. The truth is that the many MANY other variables involved in shooting affect the end result at least as much or more so than having an exact charge weight.

You could shave that last kernel of powder to get charge weight accurate to .000001 grain and it would not matter. For almost all shooting, getting within ?% of the desired charge is more than good enough. Really.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocky Raab
    Well, one could use a million-dollar NASA scale that will weigh a molecule - and it wouldn't result in better handloads or more accuracy. The truth is that the many MANY other variables involved in shooting affect the end result at least as much or more so than having an exact charge weight.

You could shave that last kernel of powder to get charge weight accurate to .000001 grain and it would not matter. For almost all shooting, getting within ?% of the desired charge is more than good enough. Really.

Exactly- Its all about consistency.
  • Options
    edited November -1

If you want a great scale that is made mostly in the US, by shooters, for shooters, check out the scale sold by Berry's Mfg.

http://www.berrysmfg.com/product-i14859-c107-g8-b0-p0-ACC_2000_Digital_Scale.aspx

Well, I'm sending this Lyman back. It's running worse now than when I first got it and it's just been sitting in the basement. It won't even read the 0.5 grain test weight now. It did when I first got it. If I add a 1 grain weight with it, it reads 0.5, then 0.4 until it counts down to 0. This is after calibrating it. So, another scale I get to ship back on my own dime.

Rocky, I went ahead and ordered one of those ACC-2000s. I hope it's as good as you say. At least it's mostly made in America. It can't be any worse than what I've already tried. Does it come with the calibration weights it needs?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes it does. It also comes in a rugged carrying case with custom foam inserts. Insider secret: That foam liner can cause static electricity when you remove the scale. So when you unpack, allow the scale to sit a while before you plug it in. Twenty minutes should do it in even dry country like here in Utah.

If the Berry's scale doesn't meet your standards I'll EAT that foam liner!
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes it does. It also comes in a rugged carrying case with custom foam inserts. Insider secret: That foam liner can cause static electricity when you remove the scale. So when you unpack, allow the scale to sit a while before you plug it in. Twenty minutes should do it in even dry country like here in Utah.

I have seen erratic digital scales and electronic eq be erratic from static electric on thier case and I gently wipe down the instrument with a anti-static dryer sheet. I also use a anti-static towelette on powder funnels when I see grains of powder trying to cling! Also keep styrafoam away from electronic eq such as digital scales due to the styrafoam possibly having static electricity!
  • Options
    edited November -1

lol Thanks for the info. I like your optimism! I'm very hopeful. I don't feel like I'm being too picky. I can accept the stated accuracy error. I just have yet to see one perform as advertised.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you buy a PACT you can expect it to smell when you open the box because they are crap.
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    If you buy a PACT you can expect it to smell when you open the box because they are crap.

Yeah, I smelled something when I opened the box over 15 years ago; can't remember what it was, hundreds of dollars saved, maybe; but it has measured reliably the entire time I've had it.
    Maybe if you read the manual before trying to "fix" it?
  • Options
    do_wa_diddydo_wa_diddy Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    rule of thumb ALWAYS hit the zero button before you weight a load. make it a habit and you will have less problems.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Well, Rocky, I owe you one! No need to eat any foam liners. lol I just took it out of the box and it's working like a champ. The display is large and nicer than the rest. It is weighing accurately to within 1/10th of a grain with only one calibration. Zeroed it one time for the pan. Most of the time its reading dead on and not even off by 1/10th. Real easy to use. This one's going to work. And American made no less.

Thanks!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are most welcome, my friend.
  • Options
    CbtEngr01CbtEngr01 Member Posts: 4,340
    edited November -1
    loading plinking ammo, then you shouldnt worry. When i load match ammo I measure each load twice. 1st with the elect. then with the manual- just to be sure