In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

single press ?

RCBS Rockchucker Supreme single stage reloading press for $75
lee single stage press ,3 bushings ouick change,308 winchester dies $80

Which is the better deal?

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used my RCBS for more than 30 years and wouldn't think of not having it on my bench. That being said, for most reloading applications the Lee package is the better economic deal and Lee has developed a good reputation with people I know who use them. I know my RCBS will be good for as long as I will be shooting I don't know if a Lee will last as long so the bottom line is: Pay your money and take your choice - both good deals.
  • Options
    guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It really depends which Lee press you are talking about.

My first one was the cheap cast aluminum one with the cheapo linkage. I broke the linkage twice while sizing. Now, all I use it for is seating bullets. It is, at least, strong enough for that.

My other press is an old RCBS JR3. Works like a charm.

Personally, I would go with the RCBS and be done with it. It should last, at least, your lifetime.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd take the RCBS unless you are packing it on your back.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    If classic cast, Lee all the way. Twice the press as the RCBS at half the coin.

If the Challenger, toss up given the extras.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i'd go for the Rockchucker Supreme,I have an old Rockchucker with a custom made handle and I wouldn't think of taking $75 for it,just my .02
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll second jonk. In the unlikely event that I ever need to replace my 40-year-old RCBS JR-3, it would be with a Lee Classic Cast. And I also have a Lee Challenger - used for sizing cast bullets, pulling bullets and/or other light-duty tasks when my main press is set up for something else.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree that the Lee Classic Cast is worth having.
    A friend recently bought one in the .50 BMG kit and says it sizes the big cases easily.

I dunno about the rest of the lineup.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that price, get both!
  • Options
    wolfpackwolfpack Member Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never used a lee, but have a rockchucker supreme and it is a great press. I kinda like the idea feenix has, get both if you can.
  • Options
    bartman45bartman45 Member Posts: 3,008 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RCBS......swapping dies is not time consuming............
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    I have a Rockchucker that I bought about forty years agoand I have loaded rounds numbering in the thousands with it and other than once or twice needing to clean dried grease from the ram, it is as new. In the last few years I've prefered Redding dies, but for those rifles that I am really squeezing the last bit of accuracy from, I use LE Wilson in-line dies. On trips, generally to a range, I'll take a Lee and held press so that I can try different loads/variations at the firing line. If I could only have one, I'd go with the Rockchucker, unless I could find a used Big Max, and Redding dies.
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started reloading on the Lee Anniversary Kit. I upgraded the scale to Lyman. I upgraded the powder measure to a RCBS Uniflow. I was very happy with both upgrades.

Everyone insisted that I needed a better press. I bought a RCBS Jr.

It was a mistake. I primarily use the Lee press. I use the RCBS mostly for my Lee sizing die now, and . . . . .25acp, a caliber which it seems to handle well.[:o)]
  • Options
    trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    here's the LEE. Ive talked him down to $65
    2709083.jpg
  • Options
    reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use a RCBS Rockchucker for 25 years....wouldnt even look at a Lee press....but I do like Lee dies for Handgun rounds[;)]
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a fair price. Below is some prices to compare.

You can buy the press new at Midwayusa.com for $64.99 without the dies.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/176078/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press

You can get new Lee .308 dies for $25.99.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/538030/lee-pacesetter-3-die-set-308-winchester

For just a little bit more you can buy the entire Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit new for $109.99 at Midwayusa.com and it's got just about everything you need to start reloading.
    Kit Includes:
    Lee Breech Lock Challenger Single Stage Press
    1-Breech Lock Die Bushing
    Lee Large and Small Safety Prime
    Lee Auto Prime Shellholder Set of 11
    Lee Cutter and Lock Stud
    Lee Perfect Powder Measure
    Lee Chamfer Tool
    Lee Primer Pocket Cleaner
    Lee Safety Powder Scale
    Lee Powder funnel
    2 oz Tube Lee Resizing Case Lube

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-anniversary-kit
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trc313
    here's the LEE. Ive talked him down to $65
    2709083.jpg

It should have two of the primer arm attachments. One for large primers, and one for small. I only see one in the picture. Make sure it's the one you need. Lee will most likely send you a new one if not.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're going to do full length resizing of 30-06 size brass then you need a heavy duty press like the RCBS. In fact, full length sizing of any cartridge case will be a lot more comfortable with the RCBS.
    All other operations are easily done on lighter aluminum C-presses.
    In fact the Lee open C-presses are better for powder charging/expanding,bullet seating & crimping and bullet sizing because there is no front bar in the way.
    If you plan on doing pistol cartridges too you will find a C-press alone is too slow and far better tools for priming exist.
    My choice of the two would be the RCBS.
  • Options
    kc5gxckc5gxc Member Posts: 177 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Lee equipment for all my reloading. Works good and priced good.
    Pete